Fencing preferences - Hight tensile vs Electric

Help Support CattleToday:

ManyHorses

Reaction score
I'm going to be putting in all new perimeter and cross fencing for 8 pastures on about 70 acres of grassland in Missouri... mostly cattle, some horses.

What are some of your thoughts on electric vs high-tensile on the perimeter vs electric on the crosses... or I can do a combination on the perimeter??

Thaaanks... Richard

We use either filed fence topped with two strands of barb or 5 starnd barbed for perimeters. Permanent cross fencing is all high tensile electric. Pen type areas that will house small calves, i.e. sick pens, are field fence with 2 sreands of barb.

dun

ManyHorses":1n9uwvyt said:
I'm going to be putting in all new perimeter and cross fencing for 8 pastures on about 70 acres of grassland in Missouri... mostly cattle, some horses.

What are some of your thoughts on electric vs high-tensile on the perimeter vs electric on the crosses... or I can do a combination on the perimeter??

Thaaanks... Richard

Personally I favor 12 guage hi-tensile smooth wire with about 7500 volts on it for everything.

We have 5 strand Barbed wire around the place with a strand of high tensile charged @ 9,000 volts. This keeps the cows from pushing on the fence and will increase the life of the fence a good bit. You can run temporary fence any where you want off of it if you ever have the need. We cross fence with just high tensile electrified the same. Every now and then we will have a brand new calf end up on the wrong side of an interior fence but never on the road.

Latest posts