Fencing post 4x4x6

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone use 4x4x6 for barb wire fencing posts? I had just bought 50 3-3.5 x 6.5 foot post but then noticed at home depot the 4x4 is 2 dollars cheaper than the 3-3.5' post which would you all use? I dont really see a problem with using the 4x4's personally but let me know what yall think. I will be buyind 150 additional posts.

The 4x4's are going to twist and grow crooked because they are cut from a log. The growth rings are no longer symetrical as they are in a post. I tend to think the 4x4's rot faster also.

If you sill want to use the 4x4's, I'd at least recommend the 7 footers if available. The more you put in the ground the better the fence.

skyhightree1":1ms6k4bx said:
Does anyone use 4x4x6 for barb wire fencing posts? I had just bought 50 3-3.5 x 6.5 foot post but then noticed at home depot the 4x4 is 2 dollars cheaper than the 3-3.5' post which would you all use? I dont really see a problem with using the 4x4's personally but let me know what yall think. I will be buyind 150 additional posts.

The round creosote posts are my favorite but they are getting harder to find in my area. The local Farmer's Co-op is stocking a brand called "Perfect Post", not creosote, now. They are "sized", same diameter the entire length. The price is rediculously high.

1982vett":2u7pb5i5 said:
The 4x4's are going to twist and grow crooked because they are cut from a log. The growth rings are no longer symetrical as they are in a post. I tend to think the 4x4's rot faster also.

If you sill want to use the 4x4's, I'd at least recommend the 7 footers if available. The more you put in the ground the better the fence.
Well Said !!! :tiphat:

skyhightree1":1hznt5m4 said:
Between those choices I'd use steel T posts.

We had to put our corral quick and on the cheap. We used "landscape timbers", which were treated, rounded 4X4X8's for fence posts. They were about $2 each back in the 80's and they lasted over 20 years. Just recently replaced them.

ga. prime":38va1zdq said:
skyhightree1":38va1zdq said:
I agree. Wood posts are a pain.

novaman":3nmdfh7h said:
I like T post with 4" pipe corners and streach post 2 3/8 cross pipe but I have a portable welding service so that might not work for others

Thanks for everyones imput. I am not sure what to do because I am putting the post in concrete all the way around the property I think if there treated they should last a good while but I do understand about the grain...hmmm.. not sure what to do.

I check the utilities company , the electric co. gives me the old /used line poles, I cut them to 8 foot length and use them as corner and brace post with steel T's inbetween...Works pretty good...

I will do so I think I may use the 4x4's due to major cost difference if I need to replace them in 10 years so be it they served there purpose lol but im gonna talk to manager at agri supply and see what they can do for price

good news for me talked to manager they gave me 3 -3.5" line post for 4 dollars a post and 8"x8' corner post for 639 a post so i bought 200 line post and 45 corner posts cca treated.. they were happy and so was I

If you're setting all posts in concrete, you have to remember that if you need to replace a post, you will be dealing with a chunk of concrete right where you need to dig the hole. Don't ask how I happen to know this. :dunce:

Do not set in concrete, waste of you time, use pea gravel around them much better results..It is easy and quick and does a great job...I have packed dirt, mixed and pored concrete, and used pea gravel, gravel is best, will give a update in 20 years, If I live that long...

alftn":fy6yt247 said:
Do not set in concrete, waste of you time, use pea gravel around them much better results..It is easy and quick and does a great job...I have packed dirt, mixed and pored concrete, and used pea gravel, gravel is best, will give a update in 20 years, If I live that long...
I was thinking the same thing. I use concrete to set posts for building but not fences.

6 feet long is too short. You can't bury enough post in the ground to make it sturdy.

I heard an old timer say "put your posts 6 inches deeper and they will be twice as strong." That's good advice and I've followed it many times.

2-1/2 feet deep is minimum, 3 feet is much better.

Also, if you have a knot in a 4x4 that's within a foot of the ground line it will probably break if your critters push on it.

gabby":3eniiy5c said:
6 feet long is too short. You can't bury enough post in the ground to make it sturdy.

I heard an old timer say "put your posts 6 inches deeper and they will be twice as strong." That's good advice and I've followed it many times.

2-1/2 feet deep is minimum, 3 feet is much better.

Also, if you have a knot in a 4x4 that's within a foot of the ground line it will probably break if your critters push on it.
I agree with the philosphy but not the practicality. Around here 18 inches is pretty much it for 90% of the posts. The other 10 percent fall into the 12 inches to 3 foot range. We have t-posts that are barely in the gorund up to the bottom of the spade and they're solid. But when you have that 6 inches driven into a crack in the limestone it sure isn;t going anywhere

Latest posts