Fencing post 4x4x6

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":oha1i5p3 said:
gabby":oha1i5p3 said:
6 feet long is too short. You can't bury enough post in the ground to make it sturdy.

I heard an old timer say "put your posts 6 inches deeper and they will be twice as strong." That's good advice and I've followed it many times.

2-1/2 feet deep is minimum, 3 feet is much better.

Also, if you have a knot in a 4x4 that's within a foot of the ground line it will probably break if your critters push on it.
I agree with the philosphy but not the practicality. Around here 18 inches is pretty much it for 90% of the posts. The other 10 percent fall into the 12 inches to 3 foot range. We have t-posts that are barely in the gorund up to the bottom of the spade and they're solid. But when you have that 6 inches driven into a crack in the limestone it sure isn;t going anywhere
Dun
That reminds me of a fence job I done close to 20 yrs ago for a guy
3 others had quit because they couldn't get the tee post or the corners in

I used a air compressor and rock drill and 5 1/2 ft t post and knocked the spades off we drilled every hole for every post and poured staright portland cement around the post went by there last yr and every post was still where we put it

novaman":15jzp0vr said:
alftn":15jzp0vr said:
Do not set in concrete, waste of you time, use pea gravel around them much better results..It is easy and quick and does a great job...I have packed dirt, mixed and pored concrete, and used pea gravel, gravel is best, will give a update in 20 years, If I live that long...
I was thinking the same thing. I use concrete to set posts for building but not fences.

The question i have is can you use concrete instead of brace post on corners?

Douglas":2p8z1nra said:
novaman":2p8z1nra said:
alftn":2p8z1nra said:
Do not set in concrete, waste of you time, use pea gravel around them much better results..It is easy and quick and does a great job...I have packed dirt, mixed and pored concrete, and used pea gravel, gravel is best, will give a update in 20 years, If I live that long...
I was thinking the same thing. I use concrete to set posts for building but not fences.

Not unless the concrete is 4 foot wide and 6 foot deep. Even then it may not work

Douglas":2ydxybbw said:
novaman":2ydxybbw said:
alftn":2ydxybbw said:

Concrete around line posts is a total waste of money.
Concrete used around a brace is no stronger than the ground around it. The mass of concrete used around brace posts is sometimes used as ballast. The weight of the concrete overcomes the tension placed on the wire. As Dun Said that takes a lot of concrete. I have seen people poor a post hole full and place a diagonal brace under tension to the top of another post. If there is enough weight and depth it holds the top. Eventually the bottom of the post moves causing the lower wires to get loose.
Your a lot better off to go tried and proven methods used successfully in your area.

I have seen people use concreate on corner post in place of bracing and I was able to pull them out by hand they in the ground so loose, something there must not have been done right. I can't see why a 4 by 4 post 6 feet long is not adequete for line post. My line post usually are in 2 to 3 feet and on my grazing pastures that I rent the fence is 3 wire high tensile and a little shy of 3 feet high. I still need to post a picture of a speed brace I made using 1 inch by 6 foot fiberglass rod and stretched 2 strands of high tensile on it. If that can hold that then 4 inch by 6 foot post are adequete.

skyhightree1":1ivkrct9 said:
Thanks for everyones imput. I am not sure what to do because I am putting the post in concrete all the way around the property I think if there treated they should last a good while but I do understand about the grain...hmmm.. not sure what to do.

I let a boy put in some 4x4 posts for braces on my place. I'll never do it again. They do warp and look awful.

skyline":3mfu2ux0 said:
skyhightree1":3mfu2ux0 said:
that sucks have you taken them down and replaced them?

Not yet, but it's on the list. The ever growing, never completed list...

I dont think I will live long enough to complete the ever growing list.
Tom.

kerley":2v0lxlpg said:
I dont think I will live long enough to complete the ever growing list.
Tom.
I throw it away and start a new list every year or so. Kind of funny how things that were important enough to be on the list at one time never seem to find their way back on the new list

Latest posts