Fencing Livestock

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkansas

Reaction score
I am wondering whats the Best way to fence.. I want to keep pigs in the same fields as the cattle but rotating them.. 5 strands or 4 and should it be 2pt or 4pt barb ? And do I have to run Electric to the fence line too ? I know this may sound silly, and what can I fence in without going electric cattle, sheep, goats etc.. And can I use 6ft T-Post or does it need to be 6.6ft or 7ft ?

Would this be good wire to use ? http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/ruthles ... 74731/cl1/

So I wouldn't be able to run same as cattle and just put a single hot wire on the bottom at most ?

A lot of people run that fencing for cattle. It works good but cost is a good bit higher. Thats what my papaw used and what i have used a good bit.

Most of our fence is like what Craig Miller linked, 48" tall, although we have barbed wire on one line. We do not run sheep, goats or hogs with the cattle (don't have those here), and we have a top strand and mid-height hot wire everywhere. You'd probably have to run hot wire about 2 ft. above ground level on the field fencing to keep hogs in, but not sure if even that close the ground you could keep them from rooting along the bottom of the field fence.

I have kept pigs on pasture with a single electric wire and have never had one get out. All you have to do is train them to the fence. Put them in a small area with several strands and hook it to a good hot charger, then let them learn what an electric fence feels like.

After they know what it is you will have no problem with a single wire fence. Pigs can't jump and they will know better than to touch it.

Make sure the fence is hot so if they test it from time to time that wet little nose get a good jolt.

Hot wire for pigs is about 8" off the ground to keep them from rooting under the fence. I used to have toclean several miles a day of electric fence.

Agree with the last two post above. About 8" off ground and a really hot charger. Must train hogs for fence. When I had a hog operation, after weaning sows and breed them. I would put them in pasture for more space for a while. When they were learning what a hot wire was, they'd hit it with their nose and run through the fence. After they learned it wasn't much trouble.