Fencing, law and situation

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas said:
Different states and even counties within a state have different laws. Make sure that you know the law first.
H
In Virginia some counties even have a fence out law where you are responsible for fencing out another person's cattle. My county has a law that involves certified mail from a lawyer to charge the other landowner and still only if they own livestock.

Right.It does depend on which county you are in here.We own land in two adjacent counties.One is "fence in" where it is the duty of the stock owner to keep his animals in.Even the DOT right of way in front of someone's house is a legal fence so if you cows get in his yard,you are responsible.
The other county is "fence out" which puts equal duty on both parties even if one doesn't own cattle.
Most people here try to get along and keep up their half or work together on the whole.

Caustic Burno said:
That is why I don't share fence.
I keep up mine and they keep up theirs

How does that work? Are there two fences side by side on the boundary?

herofan said:
Caustic Burno said:
That is why I don't share fence.
I keep up mine and they keep up theirs

How does that work? Are there two fences side by side on the boundary?

My fences are 8' feet over on my property. Don't have to share fences in Texas. Good fences make good neighbors. Property lines are clearly makes ever 50 yards with purple paint.

Texas fence laws are as screwed up as a football bat.

https://jackson.agrilife.org/files/2020/04/Five-Strands-A-Landowners-Guide-to-Fence-Law-in-Texas.pdf

Latest posts