Fencing Hurdle

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
My friend is trying to hire me to replace a lot of barbed wire fence on his place and I'm running into something I have never had to deal with. There is a section of fence that goes over a wash that's maybe 6 foot deep. The fence there now has barn tin hanging from the bottom wire filling some of the gap. I'm looking for a better way if there is one. It's not like there's a bunch of debris in the runoff, so I was thinking of a cattle panel cut to fit the wash. If I do that, would mounting it to swing or a permanent placement with posts be the better way? I'm also wondering if H braces on each side of the wash would be necessary since that's the lowest point?

I'm not stuck on the cattle panel idea, so I'm open to others.

looks like you would just go back with barbwire as the cattle panel will catch alot of junk an trash.we went with barbwire in a place like that an so far so good.

I've always just used barbed wire. just take a big heavy rock and wrap it tight with wire so that it has a tail about four foot long and then bury the rock where you want the fence down tight in the gully and then pull the fence wire down and wrap the tail of the wire on the rock around each strand. You might have to do one on either side of the gully. On the top edges where the fence wire starts to dip down it's best to use wood posts as steel posts with pressure pulling them down will sink a little every time it rains.

If it works don't fix it.

The tin goes horizontal when it floods and then comes back down after the flood water if you are lucky. If you are not you will have to replace it if the flood water takes it.

slick4591":22x8glia said:
My friend is trying to hire me to replace a lot of barbed wire fence on his place and I'm running into something I have never had to deal with. There is a section of fence that goes over a wash that's maybe 6 foot deep. The fence there now has barn tin hanging from the bottom wire filling some of the gap. I'm looking for a better way if there is one. It's not like there's a bunch of debris in the runoff, so I was thinking of a cattle panel cut to fit the wash. If I do that, would mounting it to swing or a permanent placement with posts be the better way? I'm also wondering if H braces on each side of the wash would be necessary since that's the lowest point?

I'm not stuck on the cattle panel idea, so I'm open to others.

Slick, mounting the below level barrier to a swing is your best bet. Even though there was no evidence of any debris, that doesn't mean there will never be any debris washed down stream. Those that don't, either never have any debris that wrecks their fencing or they don't mind making repairs every time there is a hard rain. I'm in the same boat right now and have to make a fix. The posts on either side of the ravine have started to bow out towards the flow of the the water (down stream) due to the minor debris. I have better things to do than making constant repairs.

I think the singing tin gap would be best. Also I would use the H braces on both sides of the crick and have the gap fixed independent so if there is a flooding rain and it does wash out, hopefully only the gap is disturbed and not the rest of your fence.

Latest posts