Fencing for bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

TripleB

Reaction score
Ok, I am new to the cattle business. I will be aquiring a 7 month old bull calf. Currently, I have 1 acre fenced with electric. I have heard different suggestions on what kind of fencing to have. Some say pipe, others say cable, and still others say barbed wire. This bull will not be in the pasture by himself...I have a heifer and will be getting a second bull calf at about the same time. By greatest concern would be keeping him in while I have cows in heat in the next pasture over. Any suggestions for fencing? What will work and what won't?
Thanks a bunch,
TripleB

There are various types of fencing and you will get varying advice on this matter.

What ever you build, build it correctly and it will last you a very long time.

We use four strands of Hi-Tensile with all four electrified and we have it so that we can turn off whole sections or on strand at a time. The reason for that is that if a tree falls you can shut a section down without killing your whole fence. Also when the weeds get tall you can turn off the bottom wire.

If you use electric fence for a new animal, you will have to train him on it for a few days, let him get zapped. We have a herd bull that runs with the dairy cows, all on electric fence, which works for us. In my experience, if you have a bull that wants another bull, a cow, etc... There is not a fence out there that can stop them if they want to go. I've seen the neighbors Angus bull (big boy) walk thru 5 strands of barb wire like it wasn't even there, to get at my bull.

Just my thoughts

GMN

I wouldn't consider for a minute keeping a bull pastured next to some in heat cows. Or not in heat cows. With any kind of fence.

Get a charger that is going to put up 10,000 volts and you will not have any trouble keeping any bull where you want him. Test the fence on a regular basis and put an alarm light on the fence so you will know if you have a voltage drop.

ps What ever you do, make sure you dont touch a fence thats working up to snuff........man that sucker hurts....lol

TripleB":3ssuk79z said:
What will work and what won't?
Thanks a bunch,
TripleB

It depends on the bull and how determined he is. Any and all of the above will work (I suggest you fence train prior to turning out for electric fences) unless he's determined to get out, in which case none of the above are likely to work.

Howdy,
I main thing here is.... a Bull in one pasture, and heifers (cows) in the next pasture? I would not want to do something like that. The boys are kept on the opposite side of the farm for that reason. I would suggest that you build an extra fence. Say the two pastures are divided by a board fence. I would mark off about 20' or more and put up the electric (the more distance between, the better)
A fence is simply a optical illusion to a bull when he really wants to go somewhere. He could catch a breeze of the cow in heat, BAM, he's thru the fence.

Latest posts