Fencing Costs

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Fencing Costs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone want to offer estimates on fencing costs? I am fencing for cattle and goats....

You can include labor or not – Just say if you do or don't…

Per foot estimates work best for me… I am not looking for exact numbers, just something I can ball park a number with…..

Electric Fence including post (specify type of post)

Woven Wire with Barb Wire (Example at http://www.agrisupply.com/47-12-330-...10/cn/2200004/)

Mesh (example at http://www.wirefenceonline.com/2x4woven/gbw)

Voting = :bang:

We just paid 2 bucks a foot for 4 ft field fence with 8 corners, 3 gates openings. All corners and openings cut telephone poles( the old creosote one)

Your going to need a loan to fence for goats as a friend mine Boogie says " if it will hold water it will hold goats".
I used to figure a dollar a foot for barb wire, the price of t-post has sky rocketed. Thats not counting corners as I haven't bought one in years as I have a stockpile of creosote telephone poles.

We just had 1.2 miles of perimeter fence including one cross fence done. Also had a 100x100' catch pen with 4 bull gates installed. Labor & Materials were $2.75 a foot. Fence was 7 barb wire, 5.5' tall, with welded corners & brace units. Used 2-7/8" used drill pipe for corners/braces and 6.5' T-Posts inline. The soil was sandy/gravelly/clay composition.

i just had 2.5 miles of 5 strand barb wire put in.
6-1/2' t-post every twelve foot.(orange post and oklahoma wire)
2-7/8 pipe every 15th post.
2-7/8 pipe corners
8000.00 per mile not including dozer work.

Running Arrow Bill":3blz73tc said:
We just had 1.2 miles of perimeter fence including one cross fence done. Also had a 100x100' catch pen with 4 bull gates installed. Labor & Materials were $2.75 a foot. Fence was 7 barb wire, 5.5' tall, with welded corners & brace units. Used 2-7/8" used drill pipe for corners/braces and 6.5' T-Posts inline. The soil was sandy/gravelly/clay composition.

Our T-Posts are 10' on center. Barb Wire is "CFI" which we and fence crew swears by as stronger and better than those "other" brands... ;)

Labor on fencing seems to run about the same as material costs. That is if they don't have to clear trees and such.

This is just material costs. Here is what I am trying to compare to:

~$250 per 100' - [2" x 4" Mesh 48" High x 100' Roll]
~$100 per 100' - [47" 12-1/2-330' Red Brand Field Fence]
Both of those estimates include steel posts and such
~$100 per corner

~$8 per 100' for a three stand electric fence [12-1/2 HI-TENSILE 170,000 PSI GREEN TAG 4,000' ROLL], again includes 6' steel posts

Thanks

Was talking to a guy yesterday and I believe he said $2.50 a foot in just materials. We lucked up and bought some t post used for $2 a piece

Caustic Burno":m9qohvn4 said:
Your going to need a loan to fence for goats as a friend mine Boogie says " if it will hold water it will hold goats".

CB, I'd love to tell ya'll that I coined that saying. I didn't. Dad used to say it all the time. It stuck. Goats will get through anything. 5 foot sheep panels will hold 'em and hole 'em tight.

Goats will jump a 4 foot chain link fence. You can see them pruning the bushes at a local cemetery all the time. Right over that fence they go. May as well leave that gate open.

The best thing that I found to hold goats was a good hot electric fence box. They hate electricity almost as much as water. :lol:

circlew":2rtxzzrk said:
The best thing that I found to hold goats was a good hot electric fence box. They hate electricity almost as much as water. :lol:

I have heard people say that a goat will jump into the fence when it zaps them, so they have to be trained not to jump foward.

HD- My goats run away from the electric fence when it hits them. Never had a goat get out when the fence was hot. Had goats that would jump a net wire fence in a heartbeat. One stand of electric wire where their bellies would hit it broke that mess up quick. :cowboy:

circlew":1tjc8oc8 said:
HD- My goats run away from the electric fence when it hits them. Never had a goat get out when the fence was hot. Had goats that would jump a net wire fence in a heartbeat. One stand of electric wire where their bellies would hit it broke that mess up quick. :cowboy:

Good to hear. Thanks!

E is a lot cheaper for us starter upper types. :hat:

I've been collecting bids, too, and all I can say is, shop around. I've gotten everything from $2.25 to $5.00 a foot. Let me tell you, there are ALL KINDS of dingbats out there doing fence work. Some lay around in an office and have some wetback "crew" do it. Others have full time, salaried professional staffs. Some are little mom and pop kitchen table operations, some are big companies. Some have their own dozers and heavy equipment, some just rent or contract out. Some haul off the old fence, some don't. Some put posts 20 feet apart, some put them 8 feet apart to make more money. Some watch their cell phones closely, others check their voice mails once a month. I have seen just about freaking everything. Just a heads-up.

Latest posts