Fences

Help Support CattleToday:

jj216

Reaction score
Hey,just wanted to get some opinions.I have just cleared another 5 ac. I have always used Hog wire with t-post and barbwire at the top.I have never used high tensil but I have helped others and know how.Im happy with my hog wire and really dont have any problems.Cost is my question.Wood post are alot more but you dont need as many with ht.Also the wire is cheaper.t-post are cheaper but you need more and the hog wire is more expensive. What do yall think? ( By the way around here we call woven fence hog wire )just not to confuse anybody.

I've been pondering the same question lately, as I've got about 3000 linear feet to run soon.. I've done some price comparisons between woven wire and hi-tensile that have shocked me..

For your situation, 5 acres, if the parcel is square, would require 1867 linear feet of perimeter fence...

That's about $800 worth of woven wire in 330' rolls at $130+/- per roll.. Setting one wood post for every two metal posts, all on 8' centers, you get 78 wooden line posts and 156 t-posts.. 5" wood posts cost about $7.50 here, and t-posts are I think about $4.. That's $1200 for posts.. You're already at $2000, and we'll forget about corner braces, staples, etc for now..

With hi-tensilie, you could run 5 or 6 strands for the cost of 3 spools, or about $210... Setting 5" line posts 40' on center means buying around 50 wood posts, or about $375 worth... Your under $600.. Running 4 strands would put you closer to $500 than $600, too.. The braces, staples etc would be about the same, so it looks like hi-tensile could be 1/3 the cost or less of woven wire..

Then again, I'm neither a fence installer nor an accountant, so take all that with a big grain of salt and don't hold me to it.. :lol:

No comparison on cost, HT is cheaper. And easier. First time you'll have to allow a couple hundred for tools. Don't try cutting it with anything not made for it. Have a 4-wheeler handy because you wind up walking more.

jkwilson":u4uqrnkw said:
No comparison on cost, HT is cheaper. And easier. First time you'll have to allow a couple hundred for tools. Don't try cutting it with anything not made for it. Have a 4-wheeler handy because you wind up walking more.

It's the the season of mass amounts of food, they'll need to walk off the Christmas pounds. The 4-wheeler can stay at the house. We never use woven wire, or HT, just 5 strands of super stretched(pickup and block and tackle) and never have issues.

jkwilson makes an excellent point about tools, and I thank him for picking up my slack.. I just flat forgot about that stuff... A couple hundred is right, though, cause I think TSC has about $55 on the crimping tool alone..

NOT that I'm advocating this in any way, but I heard of a guy drilling about a 1/4" hole toward the base of the nippers on a cheap pair of bolt cutters, and using that to crimp the nicompress sleeves for his hi-tensile fence.. He used the remaining sharp section of the cutters to cut the fence wire, too... Poor man's all in one, I guess. Must have been a heck of a drill bit to make the hole, though.

Anyway, the real nicompress tool crimps pretty much the whole length of the sleeve in one shot, though.. That alone makes it worth having, IMO.. Saves time, does a better job..

If money wasn't a main concern I'd go with 6" stave woven wire peremiter and inside too with at least 6" post every ten feet with a single strand of barbed wire on top. In my case money is a major factor so all inside fencing is a single strand of hi-tensile wire or poly rope.

Latest posts