Fencer

Help Support CattleToday:

czechtex

Reaction score
I use to have a fence charger that you didn't need insulators for. A regular strand of bobwire stapled to wooden post was sufficient. The company went out of business years ago and I haven't seen one since that worked the same. Any ideas???

Angus/Brangus":1owoj4e4 said:
It seems to me that if one worked then most others would too but, do you really want to risk getting one of your herd tangled up in barbed wire?

Smooth wire for electric fencing is fairly inexpensive and easy to put up!

Angus/Brangus, I've read many post on this forum about the dangers of electrified barb wire. I think it's more a perceived problem than a real one. I've used it to date about 15 yrs. as cross fences in my pastures. To date I have not had a single problem. I have two strands with the lower one high enough that newborns can't get isolated from mama.

I wouldnt electrify Barbed wire. I have doctored more than one animal that got tangled up in barbed wire. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been if the animal had continued to struggle because they were getting shocked every few seconds. You may do it and never have a problem, but why risk it? Sort of like child seats for babies.

czechtex":26s7aj46 said:
I use to have a fence charger that you didn't need insulators for. A regular strand of bobwire stapled to wooden post was sufficient. The company went out of business years ago and I haven't seen one since that worked the same. Any ideas???

Most "low impedance" fencers are supposed to work without insulators, however in practice, each post without insulators will kill a bit of power. You could simply buy a very large (for your length of run) fencer and hook it up. Be aware that when it rains, your fence effectiveness will be gone until the posts all dry.

Rod

Latest posts