fencer question voltage

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I have a 200 mile fencer and I like it. Our fences go through some swamps. My question is I have a voltage tester and the volts at the fencer will range from 5000 to 6500 volts. But at the far end of runs the voltage may be 9900 volts. What gives? thanks farmguy

Why does the voltage increase as I move down the fenceline?
The voltage on your fence is greater closer to the end due to what is called the "bounce effect." This means that the pulse the energizer has sent down the fence reached the end and is returning back up the fence. It then meets the next pulse coming from the energizer creating a voltage spike or "bounce." This really means that your energizer joule rating is more than adequate for your fence load and has a surplus of energy, which is exactly what you want in your system.

I have wondered the same thing. And now we both know...

MurraysMutts said:
The voltage on your fence is greater closer to the end due to what is called the "bounce effect." This means that the pulse the energizer has sent down the fence reached the end and is returning back up the fence. It then meets the next pulse coming from the energizer creating a voltage spike or "bounce." This really means that your energizer joule rating is more than adequate for your fence load and has a surplus of energy, which is exactly what you want in your system.

I never have that problem with all my weeds and limbs.....

That explanation defies what I know of electricity.

I could think of a few reasons why this may happen, but without knowing the land and the layout and your tester, it would be a wag.

What matters, is if it bites you hard in the middle and end, just like at the start...cattle will give out a vocal belch if working, if your mrs accidentally touches it, she prob wont talk to you for a day :) Smaller animals will nearly do a backflip, they learn to keep well away from a good hotwire.

I'm curious to know as well. I would think that if there's 9000 bolts at the end then there's 9000 volts at the beginning. If not, then there wouldn't be 9000 volts to send down the line. I'm thinking that it's a difference in the tester grounding properly.

But I'm gonna research this "bounce" theory. It's new to me and for all I know is 100% correct.

MurraysMutts said:

Youre statement is correct. I learned something new. Researched and found this on the Gallagher website. Very interesting.

Yes. Sorry. I should have said that's where I found the info.
I have noticed the same thing when testing fence voltage with my new fault finding tester. A quick search pulled that info from the same website u refer to.

Still defies electrical theory, maybe it has changed on me without knowing.

Like I said, I would go more on the effect anyway, voltage does not mean much. Grab the dam wire :)

JMJ Farms said:
MurraysMutts said:

Youre statement is correct. I learned something new. Researched and found this on the Gallagher website. Very interesting.

I would prob be very skeptical.

Who and where is the research on this new behavior of electricity ? My bet is there is no names.

There are a lot of factors to an electrical pulse, if there are multiple phases, the wave, speed etc.....

This new word or explanation is prob more related to the failing or limitations to one brands tester or reader, rather than some new electrical phenomena :)

I am happy to be corrected, but I basically, electricity has not changed.

The voltage should drop on long runs, assuming one straight line of wire and a similar earth. Otherwise I say it is the reader.

MurraysMutts said:

I know your not the one making the claims. Not aimed at anyone, just a good discussion point.

An energiser does pulse, it basically builds up to a certain level and then releases.

The hotwire is insulated, or supposed to be if done right, it requires a return path to complete a circuit.

It is not possible to read more voltage than the energiser puts out at max unless the reader is not reliable, or being confused due too design. And it should drop over a long run just due to electrical properties. Well, that in fact, it does, even if your the best hotwire builder on earth. It is like gravity & applies too all.

For 6000 volts to get too the end of the wire, it must pass the whole length of that wire, so it is a reader failure, failure in design, or a problem....basically, changes should be due to a problem. But poor reader design would not surprise me at all. It may even give rise to new reasons for reader errors.

It is like saying I have 1000hp at the rear wheels, but if I measure at the first prop shaft joint I get 250hp, the third is 480hp...but 1000 gets to the rear wheels ok.

Or I have 1000psi at the end of my hose, but the middle is only 750....

Does not compute. They are trying to simplify something complex and leaving out the meat cause they think no one can grok it IMO.

I took some electrical theory years ago and at first didn't see how the voltage could increase. If it was a complete circuit, you would absolutely expect it to have a lower voltage farther from the charger. It would have to because of resistance in the wire.

After thinking about it not being a complete circuit, things change. With the hot wire not completing a circuit, you have the magnetic field collapsing on itself and inducing voltage. This may or may not be the reason for the increased voltage at the end of the run.

I have a hard time believing the next pulse will have any effect because of how fast electricity travels compared to the relatively slow time between pulses. I don't know enough to say if the voltage will double back on itself.

I briefly search the interwebs but couldn't find anything other than what has already been found. If I come up with a better answer, I'll let y'all know. This has piqued my interest.

Maybe the soil out on the end had more moisture if you're using a handheld or a wire in the ground type. Both need a ground and you work as one on the handheld.

Dirt Farmer said:
I took some electrical theory years ago and at first didn't see how the voltage could increase. If it was a complete circuit, you would absolutely expect it to have a lower voltage farther from the charger. It would have to because of resistance in the wire.

After thinking about it not being a complete circuit, things change. With the hot wire not completing a circuit, you have the magnetic field collapsing on itself and inducing voltage. This may or may not be the reason for the increased voltage at the end of the run.

I have a hard time believing the next pulse will have any effect because of how fast electricity travels compared to the relatively slow time between pulses. I don't know enough to say if the voltage will double back on itself.

I briefly search the interwebs but couldn't find anything other than what has already been found. If I come up with a better answer, I'll let y'all know. This has piqued my interest.

We are measuring open circuits, but there is a reference to something....

If we tried to measure a proper completed circuit, we should get zero, my meter gets a zero at times when it is a really good short and close to source....it is one example of when one of the fancy meters wont help much :)

Latest posts