Fencer Output Tip ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
My 12V powered fencers usually puts out about 8,000 volts on a clean fence. I have one set up that only puts out 4,300 volts - - even when disconnected from the fence. I tightened the all galvanized contacts to the fence, and to the ground, but that did not help. The terminals on the energizer were rusted so I switched energizers and batteries - - and output only changed about 200 volts. Any other tips?

Are you using the same ground when you're checking the voltage difference between the 2 chargers? My electric fencing troubles are almost always caused by faulty grounds.

lovehammer":1u15zinh said:
Are you using the same ground when you're checking the voltage difference between the 2 chargers? My electric fencing troubles are almost always caused by faulty grounds.

My old grounding rod was a bit rusty and I could feel some voltage in it, so I drove a new 8' galvanized rod before I tried swapping energizers and batteries. I did not change the ground wire or clamp.

How do you ID a "faulty ground" ?

Stocker Steve":6g3umyze said:
My 12V powered fencers usually puts out about 8,000 volts on a clean fence. I have one set up that only puts out 4,300 volts - - even when disconnected from the fence. I tightened the all galvanized contacts to the fence, and to the ground, but that did not help. The terminals on the energizer were rusted so I switched energizers and batteries - - and output only changed about 200 volts. Any other tips?
With the charger disconnected, if the charger originally put out 8K and now only puts out 4.3K I would suspect the transformer has become weak--windings breaking down..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l40XoptGh-4

Latest posts