Fenceline weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
We brought our cows and calves home from our hayfield/pasture across the creek today. Split the cows one way and calves the other. Done. Weaned (hopefully). Haven't had any escapies in the past, so hopefully I am not jinxing us. Doesn't look like 30 calves, but that's what's out there.

We fence line wean as well and think it's less stressful. The Mamas are ready to move on after a few days. We have seen a few crafty pairs that nurse at the fence.

Oh the noise!! I'm small with only a handful of cows, but the ruckus they make at weaning time gets on my nerves by the end of day one. I can only imagine 30 of them in my back yard.

LOL - luckily it's cold, windows are shut!!! Also, cows & calves are behind the barn, so noise is blocked quite a bit. Won't last long. Maybe 3 days. We had culled a couple cows, so calves were already weaned and been getting whole shell corn past week. Put those 4 in field with the other 26. When we carried out some corn, most of the calves came up to check it out. Helps having a few that know what's going on.

Latest posts