Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

codyrayh

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some input on some fencing options. I have a clean slate and thought I would see what some of you would do as far as fencing if you had to do it over or was putting up new fence. Have cattle and horses, trying to stay away from barb wire.

I am thinking woven wire with t post but I have seen some woven wire with pipe post and top rail that I liked too.

How does pipe and cable compare price wise?

Sorry if there is already a post on this. searched but didn't really find what I was looking for.

That fence with the top rail and pipe posts was probably chain link fence, normal farmers can't afford much of that. Woven wire is pretty expensive too. I don't know how big an area you are fencing, but 4 strands of high tensile will hold cows, make 2 strands
electric.

I'm with turklilley... Can't go wrong with wood posts and 4-strands of hi-tensil wire, every other wire hot. I put in 4-5in x 8ft treated pine at 12ft spacing, cheaper then 8ft HW t-posts. Did it myself with a post driver. Never had anyone get out unless the kids left the gate open.

How big an area are you fencing ? If horses are involved I would definitely stay away from barbwire! Large area 40 acres plus I go with high tensil, 20 acres or less I go with web wire .

Tpost and woven wire ought to run you around 1.00 to 1.50 for material
3.00 to 4.00 turnkey. Including bracing and stiffner post every 100 foot.

Pipe with toprail with woven wire arond 4.00 on material 10.00 turnkey.

6 barbwire on t post around. .70 on material 2.75 turnkey.

Material prices are at close to a 20 year low right now. Prices can be quite difficult locally. But should give you a fair idea.

Labor prices will increase significantly on small amounts or chopped up(lots of short runs) projects.

I would not discount barb wire for horses, as long as the bottom strand is not too low and it is nice and taught. High tensile barb wire will stay taught whereas plain wire and netting in particular can be very hazardous for horses particularly if they are shod. Plain wire will slice through a horses leg just like slicing cheese, these sort of fences must be electrified for horses. The old barb wire the horses will respect.
Ken

wbvs58":z16897co said:
I would not discount barb wire for horses, as long as the bottom strand is not too low and it is nice and taught. High tensile barb wire will stay taught whereas plain wire and netting in particular can be very hazardous for horses particularly if they are shod. Plain wire will slice through a horses leg just like slicing cheese, these sort of fences must be electrified for horses. The old barb wire the horses will respect.
Ken

I missed the part about horses in the op, sorry.
Ken is spot on imo. I run my horses behind barbwire. If you use a net wire you need to use the 2x4 type wire.
Pipe and cable is good but is going to cost you a few bucks more.

Three strand high tensile with all the wires hot, use 40 foot spacing between the T post. It'll hold cows and horses in, and let the deer come and go as they please. We've never had a cow out yet with this kind of fence, and have had almost zero maintenance.

True Grit Farms":2qlrq0sy said:
Three strand high tensile with all the wires hot, use 40 foot spacing between the T post. It'll hold cows and horses in, and let the deer come and go as they please. We've never had a cow out yet with this kind of fence, and have had almost zero maintenance.

.35 cents plus charger.

1.40 turnkey.

Have fun.

I had a neighbor in Raleigh, giant house, beautiful place. 75 acres or so. He had about 6 to 10 horses all the time behind one stand of hot (maybe) wire.

Used to worry me, but they never got out to my knowledge and I drove by at least twice a day.

I thought he was crazy or lazy.

HDRider":2iw2tfms said:
I had a neighbor in Raleigh, giant house, beautiful place. 75 acres or so. He had about 6 to 10 horses all the time behind one stand of hot (maybe) wire.

Used to worry me, but they never got out to my knowledge and I drove by at least twice a day.

I thought he was crazy or lazy.

It don't take much of a fence to keep in a horse. A horse will stay in and starve to death in a fence that a cow would not even slow down for.

I keep cows and horses in with 5 strands of high tensile, mix of wood and T-posts on 50' spacing, top and middle wire are electric. Would have loved to do woven wire fence but it gets very pricey when doing long runs.

thanks for the input everyone. will prob look into the high tensile. I have 20 acres right now with 5 strand barb wire on perimeter. they are sectioned off with 2 strands of hot right now till I get some cross fence up, so not to worried about them just staying away from barb wire after having to cut one out because of fighting with one across the fence. Will spend a little extra to save on vet bills or permanently crippling a good horse ( spec the wife's barrel horse).

Latest posts