Fence wire rats nest

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
How to yall go about getting rid of old high tensile wire? ive got several rats nests of it from a oldbulldozed fence. im afraid if i bring it to the scrapyard they will shoot me

Maybe ill take some in with some other scrap and see what happens, i bet burning it would help take the tension out so i could mush it up into a bundle

Most any kind of dump garbage dump wants cable and wire cut into 3 foot lengths or less . NEVER put it in a dumpster. For one, steel has to be separated and if a garbage truck comes in with metal in it there will be a fine in levied against the transporter. Reason number two is that even if they miss it at the landfill and it ends up in the garbage pile some poor schmuck on the dozer will end up with it wrapped up in his undercarriage and have to spend a lot of time cutting it out.
This is all if it doesn't get tangled up in the garbage truck in the first place, which is not a good deal either.

On the ranch I am buying there is a pile of old barb wire stacked in the machine shed. I really hope they clean it out before they leave. The really funny part is that I can see several rolls of new wire buried back behind all that old wire. Can't get to the fuel tanks either because of this old wire. Makes no sense to me. Why would you coil up old barb wire and then stack inside.

The scrap yard I sell at does not like to take it, says it messes up the shredder. I got a couple places where they packed it in a wash and it seem to help stop the wash, erosion.

Dave":aph7o4h1 said:
On the ranch I am buying there is a pile of old barb wire stacked in the machine shed. I really hope they clean it out before they leave. The really funny part is that I can see several rolls of new wire buried back behind all that old wire. Can't get to the fuel tanks either because of this old wire. Makes no sense to me. Why would you coil up old barb wire and then stack inside.

Maybe they were trying to make it look better for the buyer! :nod:

I had a lot of rusty 1" diameter cable to get rid of..scrap place wouldn't take it unless it was cut into short lengths.
What a pita. They also wouldn't take about a dozen old oxy/acet bottles unless they were cut in half. Used to, they would take them if the valves were removed but no longer the case. (I sure wished they had all floated off last year.... )

Dave":6971yce2 said:

I see rolls of old barb for sale around for hobby. People make wreaths and such out of it. So you may be on a gold mine there

Latest posts