fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

What I did last weekend was to put a come along and wire dog while the fence was still under tension. then, I untied the wire from the railroad tie and tried to wrap it tight around the pipe using a claw hammer to remove the slack. Still, I noticed that the lines that I wrapped twice and then twisted lost a little tension. Mind you this is low carbon wire so it's a little harder to keep it taut as I wrap around the post.

I did watch the Callme Fence video on youtube.

Any tips for catching the SOB that does this and then flees the scene? Bad part is that I just finished it last week.

Took out a corner with 8" posts broke off all at the ground, high tensile fixed knot wire and a strand of HT barbed wire.

so ive been doing some fencework and I have taken to cutting any slack wire and putting in a ratchet strainer...I put it near the post instead of in the middle and it makes for a decent no splice repair at a corner and I'm able to tighten whenever necessary.... I now most of yall don't like those but ive kinda taken to em and so far theyre good..beats pounding a staple onto the wire to hold it while ya wrap the end post

Finsished repairing an 80 yard stretch of old fence. I added a new line of low carbon and pulled the old wire as tight as possible. A couple of strands broke but after patching them, the fence turned out decent.

david1852 said:
Any tips for catching the SOB that does this and then flees the scene? Bad part is that I just finished it last week.

Took out a corner with 8" posts broke off all at the ground, high tensile fixed knot wire and a strand of HT barbed wire.

rock and concrete corner structure might stop them long enough to see who it was next time :mrgreen:

rock and concrete corner structure might stop them long enough to see who it was next time :mrgreen:
[/quote]

I know, right? I just about have everything built back but went back with wood posts again. Only have to put the top strand of barbed wire back up.

My fence is on a straight stretch of road with good visibility all around. By looking at the skid marks, he ran off the road, over corrected, swapped ends and went through my fence sideways. I can't believe the vehicle was still drivable but it was gone. The only part laying around was a passenger side mirror. No glass or plastic debris. One thing for sure is that the driver went for a heck of a ride.

While working on it I've been checking out the cars that pass by hoping to spot one that's been wrecked and missing a mirror but around here that's pretty much the norm. :D

I hate fixing fence. In the last 4 months or so different people cut my fence 4 different times. All for legitimate reasons. Twice for cows and twice for equipment. But in none of these cases did they fix the fence after cutting it. They always left it for me to do. Did I mention that I hate fixing fence.

In addition to the guy tearing this section down. Also this week, had one guy slide through the stop sign/ intersection and comes to rest against another section of fence but didn't tear it up. Pulled him out of the ditch and he offered to pay but I just sent him on his way. Two days later another guy slides through the same intersection and didn't do any damage. He was gone before I got there.

Got lucky 2 out of three times.

david1852 said:
In addition to the guy tearing this section down. Also this week, had one guy slide through the stop sign/ intersection and comes to rest against another section of fence but didn't tear it up. Pulled him out of the ditch and he offered to pay but I just sent him on his way. Two days later another guy slides through the same intersection and didn't do any damage. He was gone before I got there.

Sounds to me like they need flashing lights and rumble strips. Is this a State or County Road? They need to get an engineer out there to look at it. Someone is going to get killed.

A corner of our property is at a 90 degree bend in the road with the ditch along the road about 3' deep. After someone running off of the road, jumping the ditch and into our fence and tearing out a few hundred feet. We set the fence back 10' and put in new 'h' braces so the next time only about 200' of fence would be affected. We also put chevron turn signs on the fence to hopefully have a visual to alert the traffic this is a sharp corner. We also dug a ditch and built a berm so the next time maybe we can keep the vehicle from easily being moved. Next time our fence gets destroyed we plan on moving back another 10' and put in panels so that we will only have to replace a 10' panel and a post instead of 200' of fence.

The county wasn't much help, but did install a big turn indicator sign and cut back some trees on the inside of the corner to help with being able to see. We put the red panels up thinking it maybe would help with a visual.

This happened last year on a straight part the of road.

sstterry said:
david1852 said:

Sounds to me like they need flashing lights and rumble strips. Is this a State or County Road? They need to get an engineer out there to look at it. Someone is going to get killed.

Rumble strips was exactly what I had in mind. I actually went to the DOT last Monday and spoke with the secretary, the engineer was off that day. She was to give my contact info to him and have him call me but he hasn't called yet.

ccr- the panels sounds like a great idea. Replacing a couple panels and t-posts at midnight would be a whole lot faster and easier than trying to put back a temporary barbed wire fence in the dark.

david1852 said:
Rumble strips was exactly what I had in mind. I actually went to the DOT last Monday and spoke with the secretary, the engineer was off that day. She was to give my contact info to him and have him call me but he hasn't called yet.

Write a letter to the Regional Supervisor of DOT. Send a cop tho the State Commissioner and also their Legal Dept. Tell them in the letter that there have been multiple accidents at the intersection and there is a real threat that someone will be seriously injured or killed. Document everything with them and call and write them each time this happens. My guess is, that will get their attention to fix the situation.

I don't know if anything will work as you are most likely dealing with distracted drivers ( cell phone).
I have an intersection about 2 miles from my house where a FM meets a major US Hwy. This is a tee with all kinds of signage everywhere . About once a month someone blows through the stop sign crosses five lanes of highway and ends up in the woods.

david1852 said:

I know, right? I just about have everything built back but went back with wood posts again. Only have to put the top strand of barbed wire back up.

My fence is on a straight stretch of road with good visibility all around. By looking at the skid marks, he ran off the road, over corrected, swapped ends and went through my fence sideways. I can't believe the vehicle was still drivable but it was gone. The only part laying around was a passenger side mirror. No glass or plastic debris. One thing for sure is that the driver went for a heck of a ride.

While working on it I've been checking out the cars that pass by hoping to spot one that's been wrecked and missing a mirror but around here that's pretty much the norm. :D

Your top barb sure would have made a mess of the paint work though....lol...

If you put stronger concrete posts sunk deep, then you would be fixing all broken wires.

I would prob build some substantial barrier behind this, and then run another internal fence far enough back to retain any stock and keep others out, then you only need to see if they are there and if the inner fence got damaged, fix the other later.

Then they will totally miss the corner :)

Latest posts