fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks very nice to me. May I ask, what do you use to run the fence out? I assume in those tight quarters you have to do it by hand?
I just finished up a small run of 6 strand just like that, and experimented with a contraption to run 3 strands at once. It didn't go as smooth as I'd hoped, though still faster than one at a time. In more open areas, are you able to run multiple strands at once without them becoming a tangled mess?

M.Magis":1sa0pk4f said:
Looks very nice to me. May I ask, what do you use to run the fence out? I assume in those tight quarters you have to do it by hand?
I just finished up a small run of 6 strand just like that, and experimented with a contraption to run 3 strands at once. It didn't go as smooth as I'd hoped, though still faster than one at a time. In more open areas, are you able to run multiple strands at once without them becoming a tangled mess?

My question is do you start bottom up or top down when running fence wire?

fenceman":21v0xh1r said:
Every one here has a fence. I post tips from time to time. Some thank me some criticize. Either way is fine. From now on they will all be here. Hopefully others will join in
Tight spot 2: http://youtu.be/071w9Ypaxx0
Tight spot 2: video 1

Fenceman tight spot: http://youtu.be/74IJks7VOTgView from corner.

All done

Ok getting that straightened out was harder than building the fence. Video should work.

skyhightree1":1fcal8vi said:
I've done both, and I can't say with any certainty I notice much difference. If there's any play in the corner posts, starting at the top will keep the fence from getting loser with each strand you add. It also helps minimize tangles with barbed wire. But I've not built nearly as much fence as Fenceman.

I always pull a wire on the ground for a straight line to lay out fence. After post are In I move it top and tie all post. Then raised or lower post were needed for a nice fluid line. Then work down. Measuring of the top wire

M-5":3djod84s said:
thanks , Nice accent , sounds like your from Missouri
That's going hurt all day

M.Magis":3g3em5ae said:
skyhightree1":3g3em5ae said:
I've done both, and I can't say with any certainty I notice much difference. If there's any play in the corner posts, starting at the top will keep the fence from getting loser with each strand you add. It also helps minimize tangles with barbed wire. But I've not built nearly as much fence as Fenceman.

Bottom is roughest on me so I do that first.

How long did it take to clear that stretch by hand before you start running wire?

bball":6bh8v3gu said:
How long did it take to clear that stretch by hand before you start running wire?

I put the braces just under a roll of barbwire, a 1/4 mile. We cleared that stretch and about 1/2 the next in 8 hour day.

fenceman":2m6ylcz0 said:
bball":2m6ylcz0 said:

I put the braces just under a roll of barbwire, a 1/4 mile. We cleared that stretch and about 1/2 the next in 8 hour day.

That's pretty dam good...chainsaws and trimmers w/ metal blades?

This makes me think I'm doing it all wrong. :( I'm clearing trees on "my side" with a tractor leaving approx 10-12 feet wide new road around my perimeter. Now I will go back and establish my corners and stretch one smooth wire to get straight lines. Then I'll go back and put in H's and T-posts. Then I'll start stacking my wire lines.

But I'm guessing you're not as large as I am or as old. So such a small trail probably isn't a big deal to you. Smile. After looking at your post, my property line is starting to look like a highway.

PS: Very nice work.

FM what is the I guess you would say proper height for a barb wire fence to hold cattle ? What height should each strand be? How many strands? We all do fences differently but id like to hear what a TRUE expert has to say.

?
skyhightree1":1vggu3im said:
FM what is the I guess you would say proper height for a barb wire fence to hold cattle ? What height should each strand be? How many strands? We all do fences differently but id like to hear what a TRUE expert has to say.

Well thanks for the expert title sky. That's a real broad question and there is lots of variables. But here you go. I won't build a perimeter fence fence less than 5 wires for a customer. For the most part I build a 6 wire, 54 inches high with a wire spacing of 9 inches. Tall enough the bull cant easily get his brisket up on in and mash it down. Wires close enough old Bessie can't comfortably graze through it. We build plenty of 7 and 8 wire. Mostly out along the interstate. We build a fair amount of 10 wire. I personally have about 4 miles of 10 wire. I also have a oat field fenced of with 3 wire. Works llike a creep feeder.
But if you want to nail me down I'll say 5 wires 54 inches high spaced at 11 inches. Then I would say break out another 4 cents a foot and make here 6 wires.

There is alot said about the image we as cattleman present. The manner we handle and care for our cattle is how the non ranching. Farming public sees our industry. Remember the first look someone gets of your outfit, is through your fence

fenceman":1e00nmyp said:
?
skyhightree1":1e00nmyp said:

Well thanks for the expert title sky. That's a real broad question and there is lots of variables. But here you go. I won't build a perimeter fence fence less than 5 wires for a customer. For the most part I build a 6 wire, 54 inches high with a wire spacing of 9 inches. Tall enough the bull cant easily get his brisket up on in and mash it down. Wires close enough old Bessie can't comfortably graze through it. We build plenty of 7 and 8 wire. Mostly out along the interstate. We build a fair amount of 10 wire. I personally have about 4 miles of 10 wire. I also have a oat field fenced of with 3 wire. Works llike a creep feeder.
But if you want to nail me down I'll say 5 wires 54 inches high spaced at 11 inches. Then I would say break out another 4 cents a foot and make here 6 wires.

There is alot said about the image we as cattleman present. The manner we handle and care for our cattle is how the non ranching. Farming public sees our industry. Remember the first look someone gets of your outfit, is through your fence

Thank you for the imput it makes perfect sense. :clap:

gimpyrancher":3gclcpdl said:
This makes me think I'm doing it all wrong. :( I'm clearing trees on "my side" with a tractor leaving approx 10-12 feet wide new road around my perimeter. Now I will go back and establish my corners and stretch one smooth wire to get straight lines. Then I'll go back and put in H's and T-posts. Then I'll start stacking my wire lines.

But I'm guessing you're not as large as I am or as old. So such a small trail probably isn't a big deal to you. Smile. After looking at your post, my property line is starting to look like a highway.

PS: Very nice work.

This is the way I run my new fences. Didn't know there was any other way. ;-)

Latest posts