fence tightening trick--but does it work long term?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
Had some very old loose fence that I was too lazy to replace or re-stretch. Saw on youtube where you grab the wire with fencing pliers and give it a twist, making a little "Z" in the wire. Repeat about 10-20 times along the wire and presto, wire is not sagging any more. Any down-side to doing this and buying me some time before I take down and replace the wire? I figure this buys me at least a year or two?...

the 1st cow that pushes against it will straighten the 'z's out, and just the weight of the wire will over a short period of time..

If you have to do a temp fix, get some Jakes wire tighteners and the tool to twist them on with

They work pretty good as a quick repair/temp fix as long as the wire still has some strength to it and isn't rusted down to a pencil width.

Bigfoot":3qemsouk said:
You won't tighten the wire, just give the appearance of tightness.

What he said. The first set of zzzs make it look tight. If you do another set it pulls part of the first ones out.

Or just stick a Gripple in and tighten the fence. Cheap, easy, fast and functional. We stock the tension curve pliers, but the only place they will do any good is in net wire.

I've used the "Z" trick countless times where trees and deer have stretched it out. It's works well to give the appearance that it's tight, and it's certainly better than the wires hanging loose. Re-stretching every time I have a loose wire isn't an option, it's a never ending battle with some of my old fence that runs through the woods. But still, it's temporary and I wouldn't use it if you expect cows or calves to put any pressure in that area. Jakes tighteners work a lot better. Never used the Gripples, do you have to cut the fence for them?

My neighbor lady hired some people to build some fence for her, and while they were there they "fixed" on the line fence between us. They used that method of tightening the wires. All that does is create a kink, where the wire will break with any strain or pressure (or sometimes with none).

I think some of use are talking about 2 different things. What I'm referring to doesn't put a kink in the fence, at worst it would stretch back out, though it doesn't. Still, it's not really a "fix". It just buys some time to get it fixed right.

M.Magis":ybpu5s8h said:
I've used the "Z" trick countless times where trees and deer have stretched it out. It's works well to give the appearance that it's tight, and it's certainly better than the wires hanging loose. Re-stretching every time I have a loose wire isn't an option, it's a never ending battle with some of my old fence that runs through the woods. But still, it's temporary and I wouldn't use it if you expect cows or calves to put any pressure in that area. Jakes tighteners work a lot better. Never used the Gripples, do you have to cut the fence for them?

Yes, same as you would to tighten it with knots or a crimp.

When the deer blow through one of the hotwire gates and stretches the spring too long to be tight I'll put a couple of big Zs in it to take up the slack.

I used to be a big fan of a Texas fence fixer. I still use mine some, but there are better options.

A jakes wire tightener is a pretty good choice, if you are running electricity through barbed wire. It's always there if you need to tighten it.

Farm Fence Solutions":154bu8o1 said:
callmefence":154bu8o1 said:
I guess I m the only one that threw up a little bit.

Nope. I had to eat breakfast twice today.

Glad I could help y'all lose weight :). This is why I always enjoy this forum--helps to weed out the junk from the decent information.

pdubdo":2yms6ca8 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2yms6ca8 said:
callmefence":2yms6ca8 said:
I guess I m the only one that threw up a little bit.

Nope. I had to eat breakfast twice today.

Glad I could help y'all lose weight :). This is why I always enjoy this forum--helps to weed out the junk from the decent information.

In all seriousness a crimp or gripple makes for a easy proper repair.
I certainly understand finding a down fence and having to throw a emergency bandaid on it with whatever you have on hand. The late great m5 has a slick little trick but I am sworn to secrecy on it.

Latest posts