fence tightening trick--but does it work long term?

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA":1iamha6d said:
I like what I've seen some folks do with woven wire.It would work well with barbed,too.When building new fence ,put tentioners like they use in hi tensile smooth.

You mean something like Gripples? :bang: FYI, 15.5 and 16 gauge barbed use Medium Gripples....14 gauge and 12.5 gauge use Barbed Gripples.

JW IN VA":3oo4hotv said:
I like what I've seen some folks do with woven wire.It would work well with barbed,too.When building new fence ,put tentioners like they use in hi tensile smooth.

I think he means something like this.

Ya, TG, I know what he meant but what I'm getting at is, there is something better and considerably cheaper on the market. Gripples are not just a splice device. They are a tensioning device. I give up on uploading a picture. It ain't happening today.

And the top crimp in your picture has come apart even though the fence isn't tight.

Farm Fence Solutions":1t5r98ot said:
Ya, TG, I know what he meant but what I'm getting at is, there is something better and considerably cheaper on the market. Gripples are not just a splice device. They are a tensioning device. I give up on uploading a picture. It ain't happening today.

And the top crimp in your picture has come apart even though the fence isn't tight.

I'm going to give Gripples a try one of these days. They look like a great idea to me. I do have a question, how do you make all the T - post look plum without retieing the wire on the T post ?

True Grit Farms":1kvvbk7h said:
JW IN VA":1kvvbk7h said:

I think he means something like this.

Dam grit .. good thing you didn't have a big ol tunafish on there.

Work smarter not harder ... :mrgreen:

True Grit Farms":1z51mnd3 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1z51mnd3 said:

I'm going to give Gripples a try one of these days. They look like a great idea to me. I do have a question, how do you make all the T - post look plum without retieing the wire on the T post ?

Drive your posts straight and get your fence tight before you tie to the posts.

True Grit Farms":brek3g33 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":brek3g33 said:

If your having to pull that much to tighten a wire. It was never tight to begin with. In all honesty. A net or barbwire fence should never have to re tightened. At least not in the south.

callmefence":22vc1vil said:
True Grit Farms":22vc1vil said:
Farm Fence Solutions":22vc1vil said:

If your having to pull that much to tighten a wire. It was never tight to begin with. In all honesty. A net or barbwire fence should never have to re tightened. At least not in the south.

Or the north. That's what HT wire is all about.

callmefence":2nszjdjy said:
True Grit Farms":2nszjdjy said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2nszjdjy said:

Mine needs re tightening and is really loose and yes should of been high tensile but isn't. And yes I should of pulled it tighter but I didn't. And did they even make high tensile field fence 20 years ago? I want to fix what I have not put up new and re tie everything.

This is a 100' stretch of deer net. The only posts it's fastened to are the ends. She is about 25' from an end in this pic. Wire is held together with Gripples. Start with good braces and tight fence, and there is never an adjustment to make unless some sort of damage (big tree, car, elephant, etc) happens.

True Grit Farms":3hi4ur6f said:
callmefence":3hi4ur6f said:
True Grit Farms":3hi4ur6f said:

Mine needs re tightening and is really loose and yes should of been high tensile but isn't. And yes I should of pulled it tighter but I didn't. And did they even make high tensile field fence 20 years ago? I want to fix what I have not put up new and re tie everything.

I strongly recommend you contact Luke and get the blue bag. If you don't like it I'll buy it from you. You got my oomph on it.