Fence Specifications

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
For those of you who use barbed wire, what is the height of your top strand, and how many strands do you use? We use three in some places, and have never had an issue, although I notice most people use at least four and some six.

Do you also put an electric strand even if you have multiple strands that are not electric? I've heard some say it deters cattle from tearing up the fence posts by rubbing.

I use 6ft T post and 5 strands of 12 1/2 gauge red brand. I space them 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 inches. I have some places along roads where I really can't have them getting out. Then I do have miles of 3 wire fence in places where I border forest service land.

We use 4 strands and 6 foot T post. I space them a hammer apart. We also use a hot wire on boundary fences. A hot wire will keep them from pushing on the fence, and with metal t post you need that or your fence will be leaning out. I also put the wire on my side of the post.

denvermartinfarms":12n2if5d said:
I use 6ft T post and 5 strands of 12 1/2 gauge red brand. I space them 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 inches. I have some places along roads where I really can't have them getting out. Then I do have miles of 3 wire fence in places where I border forest service land.

Same here.

I do it the same as dmf. I take ALLLL of the stretch out of the wire and put five strands on whichever side of the post I expect to have pressure from. On road fronts(i don't have any anymore) I've always put the wire on the car side of the fence. That way if a car hits your fence it breaks the wire instead of popping the staples and clips off of two hundred yards of fence.

Everything new im building is 5 strand, with 6ft posts. From the bottom up they measure, 14, 22, 30, 40, 52. Used to go 12 on the bottom, but 14 ensures a clean fence row. spacing for the next 2 are 8" each, and that keeps cows and calves from sticking their head through, then 10", and finally 12" to the top. I like these spacings better than any thing else we have. And also don't need a hot wire with this spacing.

5 strands for cows about 10" apart. When I do exterior fence I do 6 strands. I have successfully contained goats behind 7 strands of barb wire with bottom 4 stands about 6" apart. And wire goes to the side the animal are at.

denvermartinfarms":27hxsw9n said:
I use 6ft T post and 5 strands of 12 1/2 gauge red brand. I space them 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 inches.

Pretty much how ours are. (not all of ours is Redbrand) A fair amount of the fencing, especially along a couple of roads, is woven wire with a strand of barbed on top.

All the wire is on the "inside" on the posts, except for certain curves and bends.

5 strands but not always "red brand" type wire. I prefer gaucho wire if I'm fencing in wooded areas--it stretches and sags, but won't break when a tree or limb falls on it--but it has to be a good brand gaucho--Bekaert--made in Ky, USA.
Bottom 12" from ground, all the rest 10"-11" apart.

6 1/2' tee posts.

I use wooden posts, around here I think the definition of a "Legal" fence is 15 ft post spacing, 2 stay sticks between, 5 strands of HT or barbed. I've begun upgrading my dividing fences to that definition as well. I think I use a spacing about like tripleB's... I rarely measure it since my ground is rarely level, but I do have a little more space underneath the bottom wire, and the next 3 wire pretty close.

What's this red brand wire? is it good stuff?

I use 4 strands, 11" from the ground and 11" apart. Seems to work well with cows, calves, yearlings. Posts 13 foot or so apart. I try to steer clear of any stays, and any more strands of wire is just another one to fix. Around here antelope are hard on fences and you have to do a lot of repairs every year, I don't need any extra wires or stays to try and untangle.

I was reading our state law on what is considered adequate fencing. It stated 5 strands if barb wire was used. Did not mention height or spacing.

I once had an insurance adjuster measure to make sure my fence was not on the county right of way. If the fence had been he said I would be held responsible for the damage to the vehicle. We build all of our fences 2 inches on our side of the right of way when fencing road frontage.

That shows how much I keep up. I didn't realize there was a legal definition of a fence; I'd never heard it mentioned in my life. If we have one in KY, I am positive that a lot of farmers are not in compliance.

I know one guy who has cattle by the road, and he has one strand of electric wire; posts are leaning; however, I've never seen a cow out there in my life.

herofan":z85xih6e said:
That shows how much I keep up. I didn't realize there was a legal definition of a fence; I'd never heard it mentioned in my life. If we have one in KY, I am positive that a lot of farmers are not in compliance.

I know one guy who has cattle by the road, and he has one strand of electric wire; posts are leaning; however, I've never seen a cow out there in my life.
I'm not sure about that here either. My insurance people has seen mine and it was ok as far as giving me liability for cattle getting out on the road. And in one place it's a old 4 wire fence.

Tim/South":39e83h1y said:
I once had an insurance adjuster measure to make sure my fence was not on the county right of way. If the fence had been he said I would be held responsible for the damage to the vehicle. We build all of our fences 2 inches on our side of the right of way when fencing road frontage.

Heck on one of my places, my property line goes to the center of the road. You put your fence where ever you want off the side of the road. I wonder how that adjuster would handle that?

bird dog":zpijr9zg said:
Tim/South":zpijr9zg said:

Heck on one of my places, my property line goes to the center of the road. You put your fence where ever you want off the side of the road. I wonder how that adjuster would handle that?
Some counties in our state have the property line to the center of the road. That is to collect more property tax.

There had to be some definition of a legal fence. We are not liable if our livestock get out and are hit. We lose the cow/horse, driver/insurance pays for their vehicle damage. Owners of livestock are required to have an adequate fence to contain their animals. That had to be defined.
There are no "fence police" driving around checking what fences are legal or not. It comes into play when a person has a one strand barb wire fence along a busy road and the animals cause accidents. The insurance companies can then hold the livestock owner liable because of inadequate fencing.
My fence was measured because a lady "driving 40 miles and hour" rolled her SUV 110 feet down my fence line. Anything placed on the county right of way has to collapse at 15 MPH here. That is why road signs are not anchored with utility poles. Utility poles must be off the county of state right of way.

herofan":3a8tr2w9 said:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/chapter.aspx?id=38469

7ft T-posts spaced 20ft on level ground & 14ft on hills with 1 stay between each. I also like to put a wooden pull post every 5 T posts. 4 strands 12 1/2 gauge red brand barbed wire spaced 12,22,32,42. I use 47" woven wire on all road frontages.

About 2 miles from my home on a one lane road there's a guy who has a single hot wire about 2ft off the ground with metal T posts as his corner/anchor posts & some tiny litte fiberglass posts as his line posts. He probably has 50 head of cow calf pairs fenced in there. I absolutely cannot believe those cows don't get loose daily but apparently they don't.

Latest posts