Fence Rows

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1b1aa96f said:
novatech":1b1aa96f said:
I have one fence line where most of the fence has rusted away.
I've got a few of those too. I can see an occasioanl post so I'm sure there is a fence in there somewhere. The blackberries have pretty much taken them over
I was told along time ago a good fence blind was better than a fence :D works most of the time

that was what multifloral rose was brought into this country for it was advertised to plant it in your fence row and you would never have to build or repair fence again they just didn't tell ya it would take over the pasture also

Angus Cowman":20ho54r9 said:
dun":20ho54r9 said:
novatech":20ho54r9 said:
I have one fence line where most of the fence has rusted away.
I've got a few of those too. I can see an occasioanl post so I'm sure there is a fence in there somewhere. The blackberries have pretty much taken them over
I was told along time ago a good fence blind was better than a fence :D works most of the time

that was what multifloral rose was brought into this country for it was advertised to plant it in your fence row and you would never have to build or repair fence again they just didn't tell ya it would take over the pasture also
A stern talking to about where they should and shouldn;t grow doesn;t do any good either. Herbicides do though

novatech":2m1t2er4 said:
So , other than for an electric fence, what advantage is there to poisoning a pasture fence line? I can think of a few good reasons to leaving them alone but other than aesthetic eye appeal I can't come up with with a very good reason to keep them cleared.
I don't know what kind of plants you have growing there but here it just makes it a whole lot easier to take down if it's not wrapped up in vines and has trees and saplings growing in and out of it. I've had to take down a lot of 50+ year old fencing and the difficulty of that job can't be overstated. I'm still using some 50+ year old fence which I don't spray around because it's being held together by vines and trees and saplings, but all my new fence I keep sprayed. On non-electric I only spray once every 1-2 years to keep the vines and trees down.

I think it also depends on the type of vegatation you have growing along the fence. If you have weeds or canary grass that grows 6-7 feet high and it hangs on the fence line year after year it really creates a lot of slack in the wire and strain on the corners. Plus speaking of rusting wires, the vegatation can retain a lot of moisture and causes wire to rust sooner.

skyeagle":1jt4rqqn said:
Just plane old rock salt will work.
For starters on why that's a bad choice- It takes way more work to put out and costs way more than herbicide. Just an all around bad choice. :D

Glad this one is settled. I'm going to assume its safe to go back to my sprayer since the threat of an explosion has passed.

Here's a pic of some barbed wire fence I don't ever spray or just spot spray because there's no vines or trees trying to grow up in it. If we keep getting rain like we've been getting, there'll be a bountiful crop of blackberries. :D
P1020082.jpg

agmantoo":a02lqxyw said:
For those that have a metal fence that they want to last, possibly you may want to read this. Otherwise proceed as advised above.

This is a copy and paste from the *MSDS for glyphosate/Roundup

Glyphosate may react with galvanized steel or unlined steel (except stainless steel) containers to produce hydrogen gas which may form a highly combustible or explosive gas mixture. Glyphosate can react with caustic (basic) materials to liberate heat. Glyphosate is corrosive to iron.

* Material Safety Data Sheet

thanks good

---------------------------------------------------------
SMARTLIPO
kratom

Latest posts