Fence Renovating

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
This stretch has needed replacing for the past 10 years or so, it's on a fairly busy highway and we were afraid to spray it because the trees/briars were the only thing holding the barbed wire up.

Before:
summer2010Sept003.jpg

During:
summer2010Sept008.jpg

summer2010Sept011.jpg

summer2010Sept107.jpg

Finished product:
summer2010Sept116.jpg

Worked on it in our spare time, I'd rather build a mile of new fence than patch 100' of old rotten barbed wire.

Angus Cowman":1w3azufi said:
don't tell me you used gaucho on that :cry2: :cry2:
goodlooking fence did ya drive all them wood post
haven't seen that many wood post around here in yrs

This is actually Stay-Tuff wire, never used it before but I bought a buttload of it when it was on sale, plus the factory rep was a heckuva nice guy. Seems to have better galvanization than Beakeart but it's more brittle when tying it off. Why don't you like Gaucho?

Ran across a good deal on a Wheatheart driver this spring, I'd rather put in a wood post now than a t-post. When t-posts were $1.69 they were a good buy to me, at their current prices I don't see where you save anything using a t-post. Even more so when you consider the strength you give up.

You must have been getting some rain, nobody up this way driving post, grounds still to dry and hard. They can get them drove in, but it's splitting or fracturing the post doing it.

rocket2222":i2zd3k7g said:
You must have been getting some rain, nobody up this way driving post, grounds still to dry and hard. They can get them drove in, but it's splitting or fracturing the post doing it.

I was up around New Market last week, it looks like a desert up there. Not quite that dry here, but the ground is hard as a rock. The bigger posts went in slowly but surely. If you were driving a post under 6" and hit a hard spot the driver would shatter them in quick order.

The first couple pics were back in August just after we got a couple storms, but that was the last rain we'd gotten up until yesterday. You can see how dry it is in the picture of the finished fence but it's still not as bad as some other places I've seen.

bigbull338":2o90sp0x said:
that sure is a goodlooking fence.hope it lasts 25 or 30yrs.

I hope I'm living a 1000 miles or so west of here when that fence needs replacing!

Fence looks great but I am surprised you put it that close to the road. Around here the fences have to be at least 30 ft from the centerline of a 2 lane road. I would have thought the phone line was on public right of way. Maybe you can grandfather it in where the old one was?

Jim

Previous fence was installed before anyone in the area had a phone. When the underground lines were plowed in they must have stayed out in the field a good bit to stay away from the fenceline, kind of surprised me they were out that far. There is some sort of distance you're supposed to stay from the centerline in our area, I know it's not 30' but can't remember the exact number. Some of the new is a bit closer than the old to avoid lines, some a bit farther to even out a curve. I just tried to follow as close to the old as possible, it's easier to ask forgiveness than it is permission in most cases.

Had 2 weeks tied up between the initial marking and the remark, the marker is the one who suggested I move part of the fence closer to the road to avoid the lines. Even with the phone hubs marked, I lost track of where the second one was and pushed up a pretty big tree right beside it. Almost took out the hub when I jerked the rootball, real surprised I didn't get a call over that. Or maybe they can't call...

I smacked one with my mower a few years ago. It was kinda pretty in a way. All that different colored spaghetti looking wires all balled up in a wad. Kinda reminded me of the craft center at summer camp when I was a kid. I promptly put my mower up for a while. :mrgreen:

Jogeephus":1rf3x9gb said:
I smacked one with my mower a few years ago. It was kinda pretty in a way. All that different colored spaghetti looking wires all balled up in a wad. Kinda reminded me of the craft center at summer camp when I was a kid. I promptly put my mower up for a while. :mrgreen:

Neighbor hit one alongside his driveway a while back. His was the only house on the circuit and there was only 4 wires in it, all of which color coded! I spliced them back together with crimp connectors til he could get the phone company to come fix it, that was at least 5 years ago and it's still holding up.

There's now two big hubs along with a half dozen small junction boxes that are well into the pasture now, they were somewhat protected beforehand. I'm predicting my old herf bull has some fun with them this winter.

tytower":gqzf1w4b said:
I was intrigued by why you put two straining sections in . Twice the work?

Depending on the soil conditions, I've ripped the ends out of the ground using singles before. More often so with woven wire.

Neighbor of mine built a nice fence along the highway and hit a 6" waterline with the first hole he drilled.
I drove by while it was still spouting about 10' in the air.

One of my guys knocked a chunk out of the top of a 6" castiron watermain in a town one time. Water was shooting in a upstair window of the home across the street. One of them liability deals. gs

plumber_greg":qe79f7ck said:
One of my guys knocked a chunk out of the top of a 6" castiron watermain in a town one time. Water was shooting in a upstair window of the home across the street. One of them liability deals. gs
Don;t they mark water, sewer and gas lines or is it only power and phone?

dun":u4sat7mq said:
plumber_greg":u4sat7mq said:
Yes they mark water ,gas,elec and phone
don't usually mark sewer
but $hit still happens and a ductile Iron water main doesn't take ANYTHING to break when under pressure
I have had guys break them with a rock getting squeezed between the side of the bucket and the pipe a ft away
very brittle stuff plastic is about the same way will really split when under pressure

don't worry Greg we jerked out a 36" ductile iron main in Dallas and No it wasn't marked!! just about lost a machine and a couple of guys in that flood

dun":2ui7keuv said:
plumber_greg":2ui7keuv said:

Indiana began marking water lines only recently. A lot of them are plastic and a lot of them were plowed in without much mapping so it can be a challenge.

Latest posts