fence questions...

Help Support CattleToday:

I have lots of cedar as big as that. I'd like it all removed, too. I have some that will push the 4 and 5 foot diameter range, too. Many are straight and tall. Most are 12' straight up before it splits, some go to 20'. Here's some examples

y4mfNtSeYekOKPjKbEaQLYdJCg9MOUS95YgbNwulOuCHSjuwJkq4pK1GT5mAMrWMzyxKHBhKCYlx1LPbcTi7OtXbZzgpqRg9MduMT4FzHxoruvmEUCmG_fkKR83ofl983w_2Pg55Z12b60YyL2flP64B7v0UXLLKzJu2PKZ8fKoZxvoIwojnc4S5aDklu8yCVqd

Dogs are for size reference. The one on the log is 50 pounds the one on the ground is almost 60 pounds.

y4m8J9oPJgFMe31GGn8WEwymvlbtLs9Jf3uCmLzf_dd5hTOjfA0apzWJ4DNmPjJ5F_iLfUj3E8Nql5qZ0AlSYEYJCpxC8gCDUhx3oxhLqKHi9kSpJxC3QWX74StOIxNa0zrc1uCwJ6feYM6GjHG77klwRNcqm9jUyf55gIBoVFE9aX70U0LwA9fkdb3CbEXwuyn

Same log, 14' long.

y4meBq8Ssl-fnx7UotjOtwgK1bKeR5ZlUlwMNTt6lvkiWNbGomTEeJEC4IDZqscXiy3KGUJs99Uz1_2SRSdzHFupVctZyKnVNhsnwyKrSu9rAMcJu_K5tQcOmi37mNFo8s04agv1uLM8p2QwUIEMvCdOgM4gAmZRpVFiT914KD-9gZdvvwbcwSxa5_YYPzSJuJO

That one to the right is it in the shadows is about 5-6' in diameter.

I'd give it all away to anyone who wants to help me cut them down.

I have lots of cedar as big as that. I'd like it all removed, too. I have some that will push the 4 and 5 foot diameter range, too. Many are straight and tall. Most are 12' straight up before it splits, some go to 20'. Here's some examples

y4mfNtSeYekOKPjKbEaQLYdJCg9MOUS95YgbNwulOuCHSjuwJkq4pK1GT5mAMrWMzyxKHBhKCYlx1LPbcTi7OtXbZzgpqRg9MduMT4FzHxoruvmEUCmG_fkKR83ofl983w_2Pg55Z12b60YyL2flP64B7v0UXLLKzJu2PKZ8fKoZxvoIwojnc4S5aDklu8yCVqd

Dogs are for size reference. The one on the log is 50 pounds the one on the ground is almost 60 pounds.

y4m8J9oPJgFMe31GGn8WEwymvlbtLs9Jf3uCmLzf_dd5hTOjfA0apzWJ4DNmPjJ5F_iLfUj3E8Nql5qZ0AlSYEYJCpxC8gCDUhx3oxhLqKHi9kSpJxC3QWX74StOIxNa0zrc1uCwJ6feYM6GjHG77klwRNcqm9jUyf55gIBoVFE9aX70U0LwA9fkdb3CbEXwuyn

Same log, 14' long.

y4meBq8Ssl-fnx7UotjOtwgK1bKeR5ZlUlwMNTt6lvkiWNbGomTEeJEC4IDZqscXiy3KGUJs99Uz1_2SRSdzHFupVctZyKnVNhsnwyKrSu9rAMcJu_K5tQcOmi37mNFo8s04agv1uLM8p2QwUIEMvCdOgM4gAmZRpVFiT914KD-9gZdvvwbcwSxa5_YYPzSJuJO

Jeezus... why do you want to cut them down??? I'd pay good money to have those trees. My place in Arkansas was full of trees and the place in SD was practically naked. I'd choose the treed place over the bare naked place every day of the week.

Same log, 14' long.

Them are worth keeping, don't ya think?

Lmao, man I wish your area was on my routes. I have, at one point, been paid to come out there. I mostly wander out your way for the sport of it. It's beautiful country.

I spent two weeks out there this summer. If you eat at Lil Tex very much then you saw me.
The wife and I eat at Lil Tex at least once per week.

I don't know how far the they travel, but there is an outfit north of me, near Mansfield Arkansas, that builds greenhouses from native cedar. They pay better for large cedar logs than anybody else, and their greenhouses aren't cheap. Yoderbilt. Might see if they are interested in making a trip for that much. See if you can work a greenhouse in the trade. Wives and grandkids love them.

Same log, 14' long.

Those look like the junipers we have here. Lots of forks and limbs but not often over 40 feet tall. Cedar trees (western Red Cedar) in the PNW are a tall singular trunk tree that often get to 200 feet tall.

This is not on my land so I'm not using it in the wager. Just talkin..I'm on the south side of Belton today getting a new job laid out. I'll see about getting some pics of some big ones later. That's 4" squares on the gate panelIMG_20221207_100517.jpg

Jeezus... why do you want to cut them down??? I'd pay good money to have those trees. My place in Arkansas was full of trees and the place in SD was practically naked. I'd choose the treed place over the bare naked place every day of the week.

That reminds me of an old guy I knew about 35 years ago. He said most people that buy a piece of open prairie aren't satisfied until they have it planted full of trees, and most people who buy a patch of woods aren't happy until they get it cleared.

(I'm not pointing at you @Travlr; it's just that your post reminded me of him).

That reminds me of an old guy I knew about 35 years ago. He said most people that buy a piece of open prairie aren't satisfied until they have it planted full of trees, and most people who buy a patch of woods aren't happy until they get it cleared.

(I'm not pointing at you @Travlr; it's just that your post reminded me of him).
I've noticed that too. I've always been mystified that people pay huge sums of money for "view lots" and the first thing they do after building their McMansion is to plant so many trees that they can't see the view. On the other hand I've seen people chain their entire ranch and then complain that there's no shade and the creek quit flowing.

Same log, 14' long.

They will make some pretty furniture but not worth a dang for fencing, posts etc. To much sap wood in them for outdoor use.

I've noticed that too. I've always been mystified that people pay huge sums of money for "view lots" and the first thing they do after building their McMansion is to plant so many trees that they can't see the view. On the other hand I've seen people chain their entire ranch and then complain that there's no shade and the creek quit flowing.
I've seen ranches cleared off cedar and the creeks started flowing and springs started where there was none. This year the hayfields surrounded by ceder died completely around the edges where the giant thirsty weeds sucked the moisture from the ground.

Same log, 14' long.

From the cut end - a lot of sapwood to make the post waller around in the hole pretty soon. No thanks.

I was there yesterday after Dr Appointments. Mid afternoon, not many in there, but always busy morning and evening.

View attachment 23640

View attachment 23641

I see they advertise all you can eat chicken fried steak. Is it any good? Usually when I order that in a restaurant it's either a pre-breaded patty from Sam's, or the server brings it out hanging off the plate but it's almost all batter and there's only about four bites of actual meat hidden somewhere in the middle. I don't know which one is worse.

I see they advertise all you can eat chicken fried steak. Is it any good? Usually when I order that in a restaurant it's either a pre-breaded patty from Sam's, or the server brings it out hanging off the plate but it's almost all batter and there's only about four bites of actual meat hidden somewhere in the middle. I don't know which one is worse.
From looking at the menu, that place looks right up my alleys.
They'll set you up well.

I can appreciate your comments. Many of these trees are splitting and falling due to the drought, freezes, and high winds. I'm not taking all them down, just thinning them out. Plus, if you look at the photos of them you will see where a cedar canopy exists, there is no grass. Cows don't eat cedars but they love loafing under them for shade and the cedar helps keep bugs away. They also keep the north wind at bay in cold spells and hide the calves from black vultures. So yes, they serve a good purpose, but there is a lot of negatives, too. It is difficult to get under a cedar because the branches are so thick. They drink lots of water, too.

Latest posts