fence questions...

Help Support CattleToday:

I looked at it and can't figure out how it's used. I think it's got to be some kind of lever, but damn if I can work out where you attach any wires or how it takes a strain...

They're handy for quick repairs. Easier to pack into the woods than a goldenrod or comealong, but those are able to pull a lot harder.

Where can you buy steel corner posts? Like the ones in callmefences photos.

Most use recycled drill stem pipe from the oilfields. Many metal suppliers carry it or can get you in contact with someone that does.

Can get it full length (usually around 30ft) or some places will cut it for you.

I've never used steel posts. Don't they rust through? Or is oilfield pipe some kind of rust resistant kind of steel? How long does oilfield pipe last in the ground? Or do you cement in every post?
Drill pipe has significant Wall thickness.
the 4 1/4" pipe I used to be around was either .337 or .437. Very dense too. 16-20 lbs per foot.
Even the smaller stuff would take a very long time to rust out. Much much longer than even a new cross tie or new utility pole.

Drill pipe has significant Wall thickness.
the 4 1/4" pipe I used to be around was either .337 or .437. Very dense too. 16-20 lbs per foot.
Even the smaller stuff would take a very long time to rust out. Much much longer than even a new cross tie or new utility pole.

That sounds like 4" pipe, either schedule 80 or schedule 160.

1669822254339.png

That sounds like 4" pipe, either schedule 80 or schedule 160.

View attachment 23353
That's the good stuff. As long as you don't need to weld it.
Most commonly used (that I have been around) is 2 3/8"and 2 7/8". People seem to think that because it comes from downhole that it's drill stem, but it's not. It's production tubing.

I've never used steel posts. Don't they rust through? Or is oilfield pipe some kind of rust resistant kind of steel? How long does oilfield pipe last in the ground? Or do you cement in every post?

I imagine the T-posts and wire will be rotten before the pipe rusts through.

The stuff is about as thick as a steel well casing and probably pretty comparable in terms of lifespan.

The T-posts will be rotten long before the pipe rusts through.
The people I use to buy bulls from on the coast said T post rust off at their place in 10 years. But at high tide you can throw and rock and hit salt water. he said he asked his FIL how long T posts last at his place. The reply was I don't know, the first one we put in the ground is still there. But he lives in the desert 300 miles from the ocean.

What works all depends on where you live. There is the old remains of a corral not far from me. It is on the west side of the old highway 30. When they built I-84 it went just west of the corral cutting it off from the rest of the land these people own. They built I-84 here in 1962. The corral was all Rail road tie posts with lodge pole pine rails. All but a few of the rails have rotted and fallen off. All of the RR ties remain standing. I don't know how sturdy those posts are but it was cut off from use 60 years ago.

When I see the springs I'm thinking they might be good to use on the cables I'm installing as part of a water gap project. Maybe give it some "cushion" in high water. Do you install at each cable end terminus or just one end?
One end.
On a gap we always try to get the cable above the high water mark . Tie the panels on with 12.5 twisted cable. And diagonal brace the post all 4 directions if possible. The idea being a typical high creek kicks up the panels. A big flood takes them but leaves the braces and cable
I tell people you can spend a thousand to 20,000 on gap. If it rains enough it won't matter.

I use both oilfield pipe and structure reject.
You have to know what your doing buying oilfield pipe but as long as you do it's better than structural. It's a higher carbon steel. It's stronger, more resistance to corrosion. It drives better in rock because it's stiffer and it doesn't buckle as much when welding.
In a coastal area I would still use steel but use galvanized.

I only see 2 legitimate reason to use wood. It's free or you don't have the ability to weld. That's understandable but it doesn't make it better.
We use a lot of cedar posts around here. Some of these fences are easily a hundred years old and the posts are just fine. Maybe they'd go away in a wetter climate.

I only see 2 legitimate reason to use wood. It's free or you don't have the ability to weld. That's understandable but it doesn't make it better.
I would love to install pipe and yes I am a welder but used pipe around N Georgia is hard to find.
I just got treated wood post pricing today
4-5"x8' $13.50
5-6"x8' $15.50
6-7"x8' $17.50
gripples and goat fence $$$
Costs are just crazy from 2 years ago.

I would love to install pipe and yes I am a welder but used pipe around N Georgia is hard to find.
4-5"x8' $13.50
5-6"x8' $15.50
6-7"x8' $17.50
Not enough difference in wood and steel to justify using wood imo.

4-5"x8' $13.50
5-6"x8' $15.50
6-7"x8' $17.50
Man, I'd use the 4-5"x 8' for braces, maybe. Line posts here 3-4" x 6' are standard for line posts unless it's in the muskeg.

Not enough difference in wood and steel to justify using wood imo.
Pipe even cost more than that here if you can even find it. And there is lots of wire being held up by juniper posts that were installed 60-70 years ago. I have 100's of junipers that are just the right size for posts that are free for the cutting.
I am certain that Fence builds a real great fence. I am also certain that the ranchers around here could not afford to have him build fence for them. But as always it is a great big world with lots of differences. What we all should do is listen and learn from others here. Take what is useful and applies to our area and put that into practice. But not all that works in one area will apply to another area.

Pipe even cost more than that here if you can even find it. And there is lots of wire being held up by juniper posts that were installed 60-70 years ago. I have 100's of junipers that are just the right size for posts that are free for the cutting.
I am certain that Fence builds a real great fence. I am also certain that the ranchers around here could not afford to have him build fence for them. But as always it is a great big world with lots of differences. What we all should do is listen and learn from others here. Take what is useful and applies to our area and put that into practice. But not all that works in one area will apply to another area.
That's true as long as it is true. There's fence contractors in Oregon building good fence on steel post in the mountains. This nut likes that kinda work.if someone has a business and can't afford to buy the right equipment . They're usually considered a hack. Is ranching different
.https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRCqV6j5/
Helluva rig he's got