fence questions...

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen people "tighten" barbed wire by grabbing it with the front of fence pliers and twisting a loop in it. It works good . . . for maybe two years, and then the wire breaks where they twisted it.
There are also some kind of little steel thingie you put on the strand and twist it, then hook part of it back into the strand. I tried a couple of them. They worked - sort of but eventually straighten themselves back out and are useless. Jake's I think they were called.

These work pretty good for tightening wire if your wire is not real old. Of course if your braces are bad nothing is permanent.

Could you snap a few of your fence while you're pulling up. I'm trying to learn
I helped build this one lmao, the epitome of making do. T posts on one side, wood and T posts on the top side, T posts and stapled to the pine trees on the back end, and wood and T posts on the other lmao. Oh, and the side pocket for working is just a ring corral of TSC horse panels. The main gate is a wood post and wire gap gate. Never said I was good, just said I make do XD

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221128-121404_Discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20221128-121404_Discord.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 58
I helped build this one lmao, the epitome of making do. T posts on one side, wood and T posts on the top side, T posts and stapled to the pine trees on the back end, and wood and T posts on the other lmao. Oh, and the side pocket for working is just a ring corral of TSC horse panels. The main gate is a wood post and wire gap gate. Never said I was good, just said I make do XD
I guess I'm going at it wrong. Each truck has easily 1500.00 worth of tools just for tensioning wire. And all we need is pliers. Although we never have to "retighten" anything lol

I guess I'm going at it wrong. Each truck has easily 1500.00 worth of tools just for tensioning wire. And all we need is pliers. Although we never have to "retighten" anything lol
Lmao, well, you do it for a living so I'd hope like hell you're better than us schmucks. The horses we keep on that place wouldn't escape if they could, nothing but timber land for miles. They know where the feed trough is.

Lmao, well, you do it for a living so I'd hope like hell you're better than us schmucks. The horses we keep on that place wouldn't escape if they could, nothing but timber land for miles. They know where the feed trough is.
Point taken...but the thread is in reference to a new fence. There's a fire line between expedient and half azz.

My proudest fencing project was when I needed a gate between two pastures I was renting. There was a good sized bois d'arc tree in the fence line, so I cut the wire at that tree. I had an old 12' aluminum gate that I hung on the tree. I set a steel post 12' away from the tree, dropped an 8' long piece of schedule 40 pipe over it, then tied a wire from the top of the pipe to the tree. Then I tied the wires to the pipe. Job done. It worked fine until the owners bulldozed the fence and built a new one.

I'm on 3" cell phone, but I can't see a fence . Is it one of those invisible fences??

Latest posts