fence questions...

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Back story. My youngest older sister, back in East Texas had a 15 year old 155' long net wire fence moved recently because it was not built originally on the property line. It was 60' off the line, basically 'lending' that much footage to a neighbor that is getting ready to sell his property. The neighbor was b-i-l to sister's now deceased husband and he ok'd the original fence placement for reasons unknown. The infamous 'brother-in-law deal. Anyway, Sis hired a local fence company in San Jacinto County to move the fence...
I went back to visit this week for thanksgiving and looked at sister's new fence. I am perplexed at what they did and why they did it that way. Told sister "well, I guess it's ok, but sure wasn't how I would have done it'..
1. The terminal ends, they didn't wrap all the way around the end posts and tie them back. Just stapled it 1/2 way around. :oops:
KIMG0226[891].jpg

The diagonal wire between the end post and the brace post, they twisted, but removed whatever they used to twist it with. I always leave that length of bar in there and tie it off to the horizontal brace so the wire doesn't untwist and get loose later.
KIMG0224[890].jpg

But the oddest thing I can't figure out.. is at every line post, they did this.. the little bends..
KIMG0222[889].jpg

KIMG0223[892].jpg

What the heck is that all about?

And, in addition to just stapling the ends of the net wire to the end posts, they FIRMLY drove in staples on the vertical brace post. I always leave those staples a little loose so the wire's tension doesn't pull that brace away from the horizontal post or the end post. (I didn't take a picture of that)

Hopefully she didn't pay too much for this..

No problem with those TSC wood post?
Why even build a brace if you're not going to stretch the dam wire.
On removing the twitch I've got no problem with that. If the brace wire is twisted and made off correctly it won't untwist.
We build miles and miles of fence every year. If I needed a fence staple right now I would have to drive to town and buy one.
That's really bad. It shows when you hire a fence company hire one that specializes in ag fence. I'll guarantee that company does it's business in town fencing in puppy dogs and nosy neighbors

1st thing I thought when I saw the terminal ends of the wire was that the post was eventually just going to twist around, clockwise (viewed from top) but I guess the wire isn't tight enough to cause that to happen.
But, she did the best she could for a 75 yr old widow woman and brother ain't there to help any more...

No problem with those TSC wood post?
Why even build a brace if you're not going to stretch the dam wire.
On removing the twitch I've got no problem with that. If the brace wire is twisted and made off correctly it won't untwist.
We build miles and miles of fence every year. If I needed a fence staple right now I would have to drive to town and buy one.
That's really bad. It shows when you hire a fence company hire one that specializes in ag fence. I'll guarantee that company does it's business in town fencing in puppy dogs and nosy neighbors
Curious as to why you don't use staples and what you do use on wooden post? I rarely use staples but have pretty much gotten away from wood post too. If you are using wire to attach on wooden post what method do you use?

I'm not talking about staples like in pics. Attaching to line post.

Last edited:
We used the goat fence, wooded posts and Grippel tensioners. It was expensive but it is great when there is fence damage such a cow getting ran into it.....I just go get the tensioner tool and tighten it.
I used gripples on both barbed wire and high tensile barbless wire and really liked them. Yes, adds to the cost but handy as a shirt pocket if repairs are needed. But, IMO, the tool alone didn't really get the wire tight enough except as a temporary 'get the fence back up enough to hold 'em' scenario.

i'd never use that number 9 or whatever brace wire. or if thats HT then i would never twist it like that.. i alway use a strainer.

terrible job not bringing the ends around and tying them around the other side.. thats the longest part of the job is why i think they just stapled it around.. but shows how they don't care.

that wire is junk. i would of went with stay tights sheep/.goat fence.. every fence installer around here used that same fence in the pic.

they tighted up the top wire with the twists b/c they couldn't get the sag out of the top.

staples should'nt of been hit in all the way.. and i put a staple in every single line wire. but away from the stays so it can move. i leave my woven wire floating so the entire fence can be tightened at anytime.

unfortunately that fence will be an accordion soon.

Curious as to why you don't use staples and what you do use on wooden post? I rarely use staples but have pretty much gotten away from wood post too. If you are using wire to attach on wooden post what method do you use?

I'm not talking about staples like in pics. Attaching to line post.
I tie wood post by pulling them up and replacing them with steel.

The rest of the story..

Back in July, I had recommended someone I knew to do the job for sister. (I had already moved West) A small company working out of their home but did good work. The original fence was to keep brother-in-law's hair sheep in and people out. He died just over a year ago and the sheep went bye bye as sister didn't need any more headaches to take care of.
East Texas in July was just like the rest of Texas, bone dry, and that is when fence companies in that normally wet and muddy area are busiest. That guy was busy as heck on other jobs and just couldn't squeeze sister's little job in within the time frame she needed it done.
For what she needs, it will work. As much as I hate to think about it, it probably don't have to last 20-25 more years, due to sister's age and her health so it will work for what she wants. Just help keep 'people' and loose dogs out of her property.

I just found the bends and tie offs really strange.

The rest of the story..

Back in July, I had recommended someone I knew to do the job for sister. (I had already moved West) A small company working out of their home but did good work. The original fence was to keep brother-in-law's hair sheep in and people out. He died just over a year ago and the sheep went bye bye as sister didn't need any more headaches to take care of.
East Texas in July was just like the rest of Texas, bone dry, and that is when fence companies in that normally wet and muddy area are busiest. That guy was busy as heck on other jobs and just couldn't squeeze sister's little job in within the time frame she needed it done.
For what she needs, it will work. As much as I hate to think about it, it probably don't have to last 20-25 more years, due to sister's age and her health so it will work for what she wants. Just help keep 'people' and loose dogs out of her property.

I just found the bends and tie offs really strange.
The fence builder maybe did the best they could with the used wire. Might not have had enough wire to get totally around the post. The net wire was good chance loose on the top strand from previous stetching and the bends was to take up the slack. Just my thoughts on this.

i'd never use that number 9 or whatever brace wire. or if thats HT then i would never twist it like that.. i alway use a strainer.

terrible job not bringing the ends around and tying them around the other side.. thats the longest part of the job is why i think they just stapled it around.. but shows how they don't care.

that wire is junk. i would of went with stay tights sheep/.goat fence.. every fence installer around here used that same fence in the pic.

they tighted up the top wire with the twists b/c they couldn't get the sag out of the top.

staples should'nt of been hit in all the way.. and i put a staple in every single line wire. but away from the stays so it can move. i leave my woven wire floating so the entire fence can be tightened at anytime.

unfortunately that fence will be an accordion soon.
"Stay tights". Don't know em...
That looks to me to be stay-tuff 13248 could be ok. But it's square knot
Sheep and goat is 13448. Same thing with half the stays. That's not junk wire by any measure except the installer ruined it. A reason no one should ever pay for material up front. It can be wasted by people who don't know what they're doing. If you have to retighten your fence you didn't get it right the first time or your braces gave.
The barbwire pictured is stay-tuff 12.5 gauge 2 point fwiw. Now you know.

"Stay tights". Don't know em...
That looks to me to be stay-tuff 13248 could be ok. But it's square knot
Sheep and goat is 13448. Same thing with half the stays. That's not junk wire by any measure except the installer ruined it. A reason no one should ever pay for material up front. It can be wasted by people who don't know what they're doing. If you have to retighten your fence you didn't get it right the first time or your braces gave.
The barbwire pictured is stay-tuff 12.5 gauge 2 point fwiw. Now you know.
yea i'm talking abuot stay tuff .. they make a real nice fixed knot fence thats suitable for sheep.

so if some bulls start fighting on each side of your fence... it will be 100% still tight and not need tightened again?

yea i'm talking abuot stay tuff .. they make a real nice fixed knot fence thats suitable for sheep.

so if some bulls start fighting on each side of your fence... it will be 100% still tight and not need tightened again?
I'm sorry I don't posess the know how to put it into meme form so you can understand it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I don't posess the know how to put it into meme form so you can understand it.

thats what I thought.

:ROFLMAO:
🥱

5c0d490cdb07dc45.png

Last edited:

Latest posts