fence question

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
So I'm trying to divide up this 20 acre field. I need to make a corner and the dirt is only about 10 to 12 inches deep down the entire length of the field on one side so I can't use wood posts. Anyone got a neat trick for making a strong corner with T posts?

What do you mean the dirt is only 10 to 12 inches deep? You can't dig any deeper than that? Maybe you can use wood post and set them in concrete. I set all my corner and brace post in concrete. I also know they make brackets to use on metal posts to allow using metal post as braces. You will need to search the web for more info on this.

That whole field sits on sandstone. At that end of the field that as deep as the dirt is. There's not dirt in a few places, just rock ledge sticking through. The only way to put a wood post in the ground is to chip out a hole in the rock and I'm not interested in doing that. I'd use electric but it is a perimiter fence next to the woods and too many limbs fall out of the trees all the time.

Do not compromise on corner braces! If you do, you'll have regrets and repairs.

For boring thru sandstone or other similar materials, consider renting a Bel-Tec hydraulic posthole digger with about a 6" diameter "rock bit teeth" auger mounted on a tractor. Corner braces should be at least 30" deep. If only 12 to 16" deep, even in concrete, the stress of stretching the wire will pull up the corners.

Hope this info helps...

Here is how we did it when we built the bull pen. Dug down as far as the solid rock with a 14 inch auger. Using a hammer drill drilled 4-6 holes as deep as we could go (about 6-8 inches) and drove 5/8 rebar into the holses and left about 18 inches of it exposed. Made forms and set the post (pipe) and filled the hole to the top of the form with concrete. Add a floating brace and you're off and running.
A lot of our corner posts in the pasture are only down about 12-18 inchesw, wth those we just used floating braces. They've held up for at least 10 years so far.

dun":2rxbsvk8 said:
Here is how we did it when we built the bull pen. Dug down as far as the solid rock with a 14 inch auger. Using a hammer drill drilled 4-6 holes as deep as we could go (about 6-8 inches) and drove 5/8 rebar into the holses and left about 18 inches of it exposed. Made forms and set the post (pipe) and filled the hole to the top of the form with concrete. Add a floating brace and you're off and running.
A lot of our corner posts in the pasture are only down about 12-18 inchesw, wth those we just used floating braces. They've held up for at least 10 years so far.
I have the Belltech with carbide rock bits. (Hard facing will not work in sandstone.) If I did not I would definitely opt for your method of the rebar and concrete.

novatech":rtoxq5of said:
dun":rtoxq5of said:
I have the Belltech with carbide rock bits. (Hard facing will not work in sandstone.) If I did not I would definitely opt for your method of the rebar and concrete.
I have a bit with carbide teeth and downforce. All it does is polish limestone

Makes me proud of my sand, too. When my folks toured some operations out west a couple of years ago, they said they didn't have posts for corners. Instead, a tube of wire fencing was filled with rock. I didn't see it, so understand I'm giving you a description of what was only desribed to me. Maybe somebody else in rocky soil has some pics?

farmwriter":1y42b469 said:
Makes me proud of my sand, too. When my folks toured some operations out west a couple of years ago, they said they didn't have posts for corners. Instead, a tube of wire fencing was filled with rock. I didn't see it, so understand I'm giving you a description of what was only desribed to me. Maybe somebody else in rocky soil has some pics?
We see them some commonly around here we dopn;t bother with pictures. It's just the way it's done.

There's always the option of making corners out of wooden board bracing. Been done that way since ancient times.

farmwriter":2k9odarb said:
Dun, I assume if they're common they must work okay? Your thoughts?
They work fine, but they're a ton (or maybe more) of work to build.

Latest posts