Fence Question

Help Support CattleToday:

redandblack

Reaction score
Can you hook a fence charger up in the middle of the fence and have electricity running both ways through the same wire? It would not be be a continuos loop. Switching to 110v charger instead of electric and power source sits right in middle of fence. Also if I run 2 legs off my charger to two separate fences does it split the output joules in half for each fence?
Thank you for the responses in advance

Mine are not continuous and the charger is hooked randomly to the wire and you wouldn't want to pee on the fence on either side of the connection. Don't know what happens with the joules. Good question.

I would assume so, since the forumula for joules uses A. Amperage in parallel circuits is additive. Voltage is uniform to the branches. Iirc.

Current is going to find the path of least resistance.....where it goes to ground,that is the route the current will take.

The wire is energized.....Kinda like a crazy cow in a pen looking for a hole. When it finds one........

talltimber":198rcw8n said:
I would assume so, since the forumula for joules uses A. Amperage in parallel circuits is additive. Voltage is uniform to the branches. Iirc.

That is what I'd think otherwise this would be the solution to our energy needs. I'm sure both will still pack a sting.

I have had two fences hooked up this way for years with no problems

redandblack":31373xll said:
Can you hook a fence charger up in the middle of the fence and have electricity running both ways through the same wire? Also if I run 2 legs off my charger to two separate fences does it split the output joules in half for each fence?
The effect of the energizer being in the middle of the fence instead at one end will be negligible.
It won't be zero effect or immeasurable, but you probably don't have an instrument sensitive enough to measure the difference. Neither do I or most folks.

But, the very minute difference is in your favor. The severity of the shock you or a cow feels depends on resistance. Joules is a measure of energy, and is a 'product of voltage, work, time and resistance in the circuit.

The more resistance between source and measuring point means less voltage, but since the shock doesn't actually occur until the positively charged pulse returns to the negative terminal on the energizer's board, the resistance in the soil is part of the equation.
The further the point from the energizer that the cow gets shocked at means there is more resistance in the circuit. It also means it takes that pulse longer to make the trip from the output of the fence charger, down the wire, thru the cow, out it's feet, into the ground and back to the charger. Can you measure the difference? No, but it's there.
(Joules formula needs voltage, resistance, and work. Amps is not a unit of work--current has to be converted to watts before calculating joules)

But to clarify, P=IE
P is expressed in watts
I is current or amperage expressed as amps
E= volts
t = time in seconds
So, yes, amps is an element of the joules formula which is J=Pt
You can't "convert" amps to watts. You can use the amperage in conjunction with voltage to calculate P (watts)
So I think that is what would make your branches carry an unequal joule amount?

Perhaps, but again, it would be miniscule but not zero.
Resistance from point of source to shock and back to the charger matters more.
That's why chargers are sold and marketed according to the number of miles or acres they can handle.

If you mean two animals hitting the wire at once, then no, not significantly. Joules is energy expended--in one split second of time. The shock takes place in a fraction of a second because the current is flowing at the same rate the electrons are..at or near the speed of light.

I've been wondering something, since this thread started:

When I was a kid, all of our electric fences were one strand of barbed wire, ran like an old school electric fence. Small cedar post, drove in the ground, and one strand of hot barbed wire. Seems like the two strands of wire, wrapped together would add resistance. -----------So does a strand of barbed wire, make a good conductor?

Electrons move along the wire by moving from one wire atom to the next. The bigger the cross section, (wire diameter) the more wire (conductor) atoms available for the electrons to move along. Double the # of strands, it's still easier. Voltage will be the same (8000v) on each wire.
Think of it like a water hose. Using the same pump on both, you can pump water thru a 2" hose faster and easier than thru a 1/4 hose.

Latest posts