Fence Project with Tornado Wire

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I am putting up 5 strands of 14 gauge tornado barbed wire I got from Farm Fence Solutions. I am going from one double treated wood post brace to another one 700 feet away. It is along a wooded holler. The fence will be supported by 6 1/2 foot T-posts. At three points along the fence about 175 feet apart, I am setting posts cut from the big end of old power poles. These power pole posts are 8 foot long and are set 2 1/2 foot deep and concreted with 250 pound of concrete each. Here is a picture of one of the posts:
14npphs.jpg

osbu54.jpg

Between the power pole posts I will use the T-posts on 20 foot centers. One of the difficulties is stinging the barbed wire, as a one man operation. The rolls are 80 pounds. I plan to put the spool on the three point hitch of the tractor on an axis that goes through the eyes of the lower two points. I cannot get the tractor along the entire fence, but I hope to be able to pull it into place off the spool. I got the three power pole posts set. They are all solid and from the days when power poles were creosoted. So should last forever.

True Grit Farms":25gc2eb2 said:
Nothing last forever, did you set the post on a rock?

Did not set it on a rock. I tamped the soil in the bottom of the hole before putting in the post. Why? Is that something I should have done?

IDK, my uncle always made us set a corner post on a piece of block and then put the concrete in. There's corner post on the V-II and Blue Goose that are 50+ years old.

M-5":hm81cfwf said:
IMO 30" is not deep enough but it's yours so do it like you want

That ship sailed yesterday. Too late to cash in my tickets. They are in 250 pounds of concrete.

callmefence":31x6s168 said:
Good deal.

I think 30 inches for a stiffener post set that way will be alright. Definitely not deep enough for a brace post.

Thanks, Fence. What about the T-post? Is 20 feet too far?

Bright Raven":1qth4se6 said:
callmefence":1qth4se6 said:
Good deal.

I think 30 inches for a stiffener post set that way will be alright. Definitely not deep enough for a brace post.

On a 5 wire I generally put em on 12.
I've got some interior fence on 24 foot with stays. I would recommend putting stays in it unless it's low pressure interior fence.

callmefence":28oq9en6 said:
Bright Raven":28oq9en6 said:
callmefence":28oq9en6 said:
Good deal.

I've got some interior fence on 24 foot with stays. I would recommend putting stays in it unless it's low pressure interior fence.

Tell me what a stay is.

Bright Raven":1xeh28jx said:
callmefence":1xeh28jx said:
Bright Raven":1xeh28jx said:

Tell me what a stay is.
Either a cedar stick that you tie to each wire
Or a twist in wire stay. I try to post a pic of each in the morning.

callmefence":2g7q7wlf said:
Bright Raven":2g7q7wlf said:
callmefence":2g7q7wlf said:

Tell me what a stay is.
Either a cedar stick that you tie to each wire
Or a twist in wire stay. I try to post a pic of each in the morning.

Thanks

Put your t post closer together. I used to go 12'. I've switched to 10''. You (or me) probably don't have the ability to pull wire as tight as fence man does.

Bigfoot":3jqpt6a5 said:
Put your t post closer together. I used to go 12'. I've switched to 10''. You (or me) probably don't have the ability to pull wire as tight as fence man does.

I know I don't. Luke and I talked about that. Those guys stretch it on a whole nother plateau. Ok. I should put the closer. Also need to know what stays are.

Bright Raven":16addep0 said:
Bigfoot":16addep0 said:

I know I don't. Luke and I talked about that. Those guys stretch it on a whole nother plateau. Ok. I should put the closer. Also need to know what stays are.

You've seen them. They use wooden ones out west. They're like a tobacco stick wired vertically attached to each wire. You see the occasional person here use metal ones. They're pretty heavy gauge wire. It looks like it wrapped from top to bottom. You start them on the top wire, and then just screw it down as you go. Easy to put on actually. I still wouldn't go over 12' even with stays.

Bigfoot":2zrl3cry said:
Bright Raven":2zrl3cry said:
Bigfoot":2zrl3cry said:

You've seen them. They use wooden ones out west. They're like a tobacco stick wired vertically attached to each wire. You see the occasional person here use metal ones. They're pretty heavy gauge wire. It looks like it wrapped from top to bottom. You start them on the top wire, and then just screw it down as you go. Easy to put on actually. I still wouldn't go over 12' even with stays.

I have seen them. Didn't know what they were called. I plan to go closer on the T-post.

Bigfoot":1otb057v said:

You both have the ability. What you are missing is the magical blue bag of fence tensioning fairy dust. (Gripple kit) :wave:

Bright Raven":4x7b5h5e said:
Bigfoot":4x7b5h5e said:
Bright Raven":4x7b5h5e said:

I have seen them. Didn't know what they were called. I plan to go closer on the T-post.

16' is about as far as we go on wood posts. 12' on T posts would be about the limit for me. I like the cedar stays that Fence uses, but they make woven wire in a roll, so it never made much sense to me to go to making it myself. :hide: :hide:

In defense of the use of stays...... A vertical stay, should it be cedar in barbed wire or woven into a fixed knot net fence, is what makes a fence function with increased line post spacing. Solid vertical stays in net wire are what make it so much tougher than hinged joint, and the same holds true with cedar stays in barb wire. In a wet climate, you will have to replace posts before the wire is spent, and in a dry/rock environment, it's equally(more, really) expensive to set a post. Vertical stays don't rot off and allow increased spacing between line posts. Bottom line: Still works but saves cash.

Latest posts