Fence opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardin Farms

Reaction score
Looking to build a new fence on my property (150 acres in new fence). Fencline is cleared 30' out and easily navigated with sxs and tractor. I have always been a 5 strand barbed wire kind of guy, but a farm near my property has a nice 5 strand hi-tensile electric fence(3 strands hot 2 strands ground). He never has a cow even try it. If you were building a new fence today, what would be your choice of fence? Pros and Cons of each? I am near electricity so electricity wont be a problem. Just looking for the most cost effective fence i can build. Thanks in advance!

Hi tensile is what I've replaced everything with easier on the hand than Barb wire. Depends if your doing it yourself or hiring it out. Only time my cows get out is when I forget to latch a gate.

That seems to be the consensus. I'll be building it myself and using the NRCS/USDA guidelines to build. It seems the HT fence is a little bit cheaper to install. Mine will be around some trees, so that worries me a little. But i guess itd be no different than if a limb fell on your barb wire fence.

Hot high tensile all the way. If a tree falls on your HT fence it's easier to fix than any other type.

It's no secret I like barbwire. 14 gauge high tensile barbwire. It's more reliable than electric fence, it's easier on the wildlife than netwire. (Deer are more valuable than cattle here) hogs can go through it without tearing it up. When built right it will hold cattle. There's no reason you can't add a hot wire on top to teach them not to test the fence. Trees should be cleaned off a fence line anyway.....as far as maintaining.. electric vs BW..... well it's easier to repair a tent than a brick house...

My vote would be high tensile netwire. You might not ever have plans to run sheep or goats, but if you put up net you are ready for anything you want to graze.

We don't like HT here. Have had too many coyotes run cattle through it, have had 2 calves get hind legs caught as they try to go through and hung up and died. Take deer out of it that have gotten caught trying to jump over. Constantly having to check the electric on it cuz if it isn't hot, a cow can just push her way through it for the "better grass" on the other side. It will not stop any smaller predator like coyotes or dogs. We also have sheep. Some will learn to respect it, but we have white dall sheep.....and have had barbadoes black belly and mouflons. Semi-wild, no respect for anything they can put their head through or under and push. Have friends with goats that will respect a 3 wire electric fence until they are running from coyotes....then it won't stop them.

Anything we re-fence is woven wire. I think it is high tensile woven wire, but I don't do the fencing. It is a good barrier for dogs and coyotes, put close to the ground; nothing goes through it. Run a strand of barbed wire on the top so the cows don't try to constantly reach over and push it down over time.

I think that fencing needs to be appropriate to the area, and what you are running. Deer here are such a nusiance and they tear up more fences in the woods that are barbed wire and high tensile. I've watched deer that will do all they can to go under or through a fence and then jump as a last result. Doesn't take long for a regular deer run to make a small hole between 2 strands as it gets stretched a bit or 2 wires get wound up on each other. Then a calf finds it, and they are getting out.

But it is personal preference. And we like the added versatility that a good woven wire fence gives us. Mostly keeps everything in, including the places we have free ranging chickens.

farmerjan said:
We don't like HT here. Have had too many coyotes run cattle through it, have had 2 calves get hind legs caught as they try to go through and hung up and died. Take deer out of it that have gotten caught trying to jump over. Constantly having to check the electric on it cuz if it isn't hot, a cow can just push her way through it for the "better grass" on the other side. It will not stop any smaller predator like coyotes or dogs. We also have sheep. Some will learn to respect it, but we have white dall sheep.....and have had barbadoes black belly and mouflons. Semi-wild, no respect for anything they can put their head through or under and push. Have friends with goats that will respect a 3 wire electric fence until they are running from coyotes....then it won't stop them.

Anything we re-fence is woven wire. I think it is high tensile woven wire, but I don't do the fencing. It is a good barrier for dogs and coyotes, put close to the ground; nothing goes through it. Run a strand of barbed wire on the top so the cows don't try to constantly reach over and push it down over time.

I think that fencing needs to be appropriate to the area, and what you are running. Deer here are such a nusiance and they tear up more fences in the woods that are barbed wire and high tensile. I've watched deer that will do all they can to go under or through a fence and then jump as a last result. Doesn't take long for a regular deer run to make a small hole between 2 strands as it gets stretched a bit or 2 wires get wound up on each other. Then a calf finds it, and they are getting out.

But it is personal preference. And we like the added versatility that a good woven wire fence gives us. Mostly keeps everything in, including the places we have free ranging chickens.

One of the best" fence post " ever....

Thank you callmefence. I certainly wasn't trying for any reactions other than what we prefer here. You and others are way ahead of me in experience with fencing. When I was a kid and young adult in Ct., we mostly used barbed wire. I could put up fence myself. Often attached to trees. Learned about more dos and don'ts. But I am no expert by any means. Just wanted to let people know what we like, and don't like. A good woven wire fence will contain most anything that doesn't have a reason to get out. And if they want out, unless being harassed by predators, if they go over it, they need to be gone.

One thing we do is run a strand or sometimes 2 of electric on the inside of the woven wire on the bull lot because they insist on going along and rubbing against it. It will stretch it, and eventually it will sag a bit, but usually have broken or dislodged a few fence posts from pushing on them. Just keeps them off it when they are penned during the off season.

5 strands of barbed wire. Get it tight. Keep it tight. Woven cost too much, electric is the gift that keeps on givin ( maintenance), high tensil ain't bad. If it just had barbs it'd be perfect.

farmerjan said:

Same issue here with hot wire. You cab train the cattle but not the wildlife.

I would put up a good 5 stand barbed wire fence. They are hard to beat for a good all around fence.

Only thing I would add is that I've had a lot of young calves crawl through 5 strand HT barbed wire fences, especially after the wires are loosened from deer. I haven't had one go through since I switched to 6 strand. So far at least.

M.Magis said:
Only thing I would add is that I've had a lot of young calves crawl through 5 strand HT barbed wire fences, especially after the wires are loosened from deer. I haven't had one go through since I switched to 6 strand. So far at least.

Agreed.
We won't build 5 wires on the road. Interior only. If a customer bucks at that, I'll give him the 6th wire. We highly recommend 7 on the road.

callmefence said:
M.Magis said:

Agreed.
We won't build 5 wires on the road. Interior only. If a customer bucks at that, I'll give him the 6th wire. We highly recommend 7 on the road.

I'm guessing that's still cheaper than woven wire correct? We use woven even on interior fences.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
callmefence said:
M.Magis said:

Agreed.

I'm guessing that's still cheaper than woven wire correct? We use woven even on interior fences.

By about a buck

TennesseeTuxedo said:
callmefence said:
M.Magis said:

Agreed.

We can build net wire cheaper than 7 strand barb in most circumstances.

Latest posts