Fence opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

Farm Fence Solutions said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
callmefence said:
Agreed.
We won't build 5 wires on the road. Interior only. If a customer bucks at that, I'll give him the 6th wire. We highly recommend 7 on the road.

I'm guessing that's still cheaper than woven wire correct? We use woven even on interior fences.

We can build net wire cheaper than 7 strand barb in most circumstances.

LOL
We can build 8 Barb cheaper than net wire in all situations... :cboy:

hillbilly beef man said:
My vote would be high tensile netwire. You might not ever have plans to run sheep or goats, but if you put up net you are ready for anything you want to graze.

What you say is correct.
But you can run goats behind barbwire. I've seen it all my life. My grandfather hated netwire more than the Japanese. And he ran several hundred goats over several hundred acres of 10 Barb fence.
I don't recall us ever losing any. Most of that fence is still up and around a good part of my piece. All still tight and right. You can find where they broke every wire stretching it.

At one time here in Va you had to build 8 strand barbed wire for it to be a LEGAL fence. Several counties have stipulations on what constitutes a legal fence.

As I said earlier. it is what you want personally, and what is prevalent in the area. I would think that 10 strand barbed wire could keep in most anything, but the chickens maybe...... but again, it is what you prefer, and what is considered legal in places that have regulations. Interior fences are a whole different story. We had several BB barbados that got out of some barbed wire/high tensile combination and after running the neighborhood and being unable to catch them, wound up shooting them.

Another thing to consider is where you live and the traffic if near a road, and the neighbors.....besides any legal restrictions. All the original poster asked for was opinions on who liked what, and lots of us expressed that.

I can climb a woven wire fence in an emergency next to a post. I could never climb a barbed wire fence that was 6-10 strands without getting hurt.... I am not that agile anymore; and I cannot go through it if it is real tight either, even if it is only 5 strands. There might not be a gate close to where you might need to go over in some sort of an emergency.

farmerjan said:
At one time here in Va you had to build 8 strand barbed wire for it to be a LEGAL fence. Several counties have stipulations on what constitutes a legal fence.

As I said earlier. it is what you want personally, and what is prevalent in the area. I would think that 10 strand barbed wire could keep in most anything, but the chickens maybe...... but again, it is what you prefer, and what is considered legal in places that have regulations. Interior fences are a whole different story. We had several BB barbados that got out of some barbed wire/high tensile combination and after running the neighborhood and being unable to catch them, wound up shooting them.

Another thing to consider is where you live and the traffic if near a road, and the neighbors.....besides any legal restrictions. All the original poster asked for was opinions on who liked what, and lots of us expressed that.

I can climb a woven wire fence in an emergency next to a post. I could never climb a barbed wire fence that was 6-10 strands without getting hurt.... I am not that agile anymore; and I cannot go through it if it is real tight either, even if it is only 5 strands. There might not be a gate close to where you might need to go over in some sort of an emergency.

Had a old boy at a rooster , ...um.. Poultry show :cowboy: tell me that should you need to make a quick getaway hit them fences at a full run and get yourself up as tall as you could. You'll flip right over and land on your feet still running.
I ain't tried it, but I ain't forgot it..... :hat:

I'd like an in person demonstration before I would attempt that !!!!! Seems like the barbs might catch you and hold you in place instead of letting you flip right over.....

Lots of great opinions here! I appreciate the input! Fencing is one of those things that everyone has their own opinion about. That's why i like asking questions...gives you somethings to mull over.

I do have the fence line cleared, but part of my fence goes through a wooded are that would cost way to much to clear the trees far enough back. I do keep the fence line cleaned enough to ride the SxS through to check daily. Try to keep everything sprayed back as well.

Our area is over run with deer, so that is something i need to consider.

We have had problems in the past with new cattle not used to hot wire running through it when they first get on the property.. I am in the building stage of the farm, so new cattle will be a common thing.

If i built anything more than a 5 strand barbed wire fence around here, people would swear i have gone mad!! These old timers around here swear by a good ole 5 strand red brand barbed wire fence! Those extra few strands would help keep the calves from easing under it too. I like that idea!

callmefence said:
farmerjan said:

Had a old boy at a rooster , ...um.. Poultry show :cowboy: tell me that should you need to make a quick getaway hit them fences at a full run and get yourself up as tall as you could. You'll flip right over and land on your feet still running.

May have worked when I was still young enough to get up to a full run, (or any kind of run for that matter) but I've seen rotting deer carcasses hung up between the top 2 strands it didn't work too well for.

Fence..you ever heard that back in the early 20th century before there were very many phone lines run, that people out in the Western part of Texas and the Western US talked over/along barbed fence wire, by somehow hooking their phones up to it?

greybeard said:
callmefence said:
farmerjan said:

May have worked when I was still young enough to get up to a full run, (or any kind of run for that matter) but I've seen rotting deer carcasses hung up between the top 2 strands it didn't work too well for.

Fence..you ever heard that back in the early 20th century before there were very many phone lines run, that people out in the Western part of Texas and the Western US talked over/along barbed fence wire, by somehow hooking their phones up to it?

Yes I have.!!
Yet another reason barbwire is better than netwire... ;-) :nod:

I have been hung up and wrapped up in barb a time or two and lived to tell about it...

I have high tensile fence with one wire hot and my cattle and horses respect the fence. even the goats think about it before testing it to see if it is on...many of my division fences are just one strand of wire or polywire....

make the eyes water and the knees buckle and they will learn to turn.

Here everyone brands their cattle and it is open range so you drive accordingly unless you are stupid. As a result the fences are more of a suggestion than a barrier. The majority is 3 or 4 strand barb wire. Keeps most of the cows in and when one does get where it isn't supposed to be nobody gets excited. The only real good fence is what the ODT put up along the freeway. And you can tell that you are in cattle country when there are cattle guards on the on ramps and off ramps to the freeway.

sstterry said:

I'm guessing that's still cheaper than woven wire correct? We use woven even on interior fences.

By about a buck
[/quote]

Is that a dollar per foot?
[/quote]
Give or take.
My six wire Barb is 2.85.
My cheapest net 93912 which has 4 strands of bw. 1 under 3 on top. Is 3.50...we give 2 free braces for every 750' of fence. If it gets more broke up than that it's 175.00 additional for a full brace 85.00 per half brace.

Latest posts