Fence line weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
has been discussed and that is currently what I am doing and so far everything has been fine. Now the lot I have them in is running short on grass.... :shock: ok actually there is no grass left. :lol:

My question is what will happen if I section off a part of my pasture with an electric fence and put the babys in there? They will still be separated from their mamas by a fence but instead of it being a good 6 strand barb wire it will be probably a two strand electric. Will it work?

I used to do mine with a two wire electric fence. It worked just fine.

I think you'd be fine with electric between them now. Have they been around an electric fence before? That may be key.. if they aren't familiar with it, they may make a run for it before they realize it's there, and go through it. Once they get "bit", they'll be fine. Even those nasty old Bramers. In fact, my Brahmans won't go near a plain old wire laying on the ground if they've been shocked by the electric one. Now the Simmentals..... :roll:

It's worth trying. It depends on the personalities of the cattle. Short of chaining them to a tree, there is no way I have found to stop one that really - really - wants to have a family reuninon.

I do fence line weaning using two hot wires and have not had any problems. I feed the calves in the corral and the cows out on pasture, but they can see each other all the time. The do a make a little noise for about half a day, but then it's over.

Bobg

Latest posts