fence line herbicide

Help Support CattleToday:

dansangus

Reaction score
While repairing fences this year,I noticed in one pasture,a area about a half acre has been taken over by a brush that resembles wild raspberries. This brush is quite high and very thick. Unable to walk through it. I don't have a brush hog,so I would like to find a economical herbicide that would kill off this plant. I would be using a 2 gal.hand sprayer. I would also like to use the same liquid for the fence line. Also,can you use diesel with this type of herbicide? Have been using roundup in the past,but need something more for brush. Thanks Dan

Crossbow is a good choice and still somewhat available even though it has been discontinued. Its replacement is PastureGard. Diesel can be used but is not needed. A good surfactant will be needed though especially for tough to kill brush such as briars and probably your wild raspberry looking plants.

Edit-- Also of note is that pasturegard does not require a license to buy.

I'm trying Milestone for my fences this year.
I had a sticker shock when I got the bill. So I hope it does the job they told me it will do. Jeff

I would highly recommend grazon next as well. Tell they make something better, it's all I'll ever use.

We just sprayed 30ac of overgrown fields. We used 1.25pt of Remedy Ultra and 2pts of Grazon Next HL per ac. Although it's not cheap we have had very good luck with it in heavy brush and weeds. With remedy and Grazon you get a blend of several chemicals.

Crossbow is remedy and 2-4 d
Grazon is milestone and 2-4 d
Milestone gives you the residual

I would like to find a economical herbicide
Wouldn't we all..

Remedy is what I use on brush--sometimes with diesel, but always with a surfactant.

Roundup will sometimes work on brush but only if it has another chemical with it, like Pramitol.
(pramitol has residual soil activity)

What about Grazon P+D. It's restricted but did a great job on wood for me.....the P hit the wood, the D the broadleaf.

On fence line disappointments, I think my weeds are getting immune to glyphosate and D. Seems a goodly application in the spring craps out by July with weeds thriving. Thought this stuff was supposed to last a season. The D is still doing "fair-to-middlin".

Texasmark":3e1pm5m7 said:
What about Grazon P+D. It's restricted but did a great job on wood for me.....the P hit the wood, the D the broadleaf.

I agree for our cedar and pears you can't beat p+d. There s some generics out there but we've just taken to mixing 24d and tordon.

Crossbow is simply remedy and 24d

A friend of mine in Rains County came up with this recipe for fencelines and brush areas.
1 pt/acre of Grazon Next
8 ozs/ acre of Remedy
0.1 oz/acre of MSM (metsulfuron methyl)

I have used this and it worked on most things but cedar.

Texasmark":r47smig0 said:
That is what I use and a cow tongue to weed eat the grass under it 16k volts keeps them from leaning on the fence.
Makes for beautiful fence lines.

Texasmark":37scsqyp said:
On fence line disappointments, I think my weeds are getting immune to glyphosate and D. Seems a goodly application in the spring craps out by July with weeds thriving. Thought this stuff was supposed to last a season. The D is still doing "fair-to-middlin".

Update on this post response. I got some Rodeo and a high priced concentrated surfactant about a week or so ago and got a hard kill on my fence line. Kicked it around elsewhere on www sites, but it seems that having a good surfactant is what it takes to make a good product excellent. Nether were restricted.

Texasmark":3nlj7pw0 said:
Texasmark":3nlj7pw0 said:

Update on this post response. I got some Rodeo and a high priced concentrated surfactant about a week or so ago and got a hard kill on my fence line. Kicked it around elsewhere on www sites, but it seems that having a good surfactant is what it takes to make a good product excellent. Nether were restricted.

Was this a cuticle/bark penetrating surfactant, or just a "normal" surfactant?

Bigfoot":3gq3w5df said:
Texasmark":3gq3w5df said:
Texasmark":3gq3w5df said:

Was this a cuticle/bark penetrating surfactant, or just a "normal" surfactant?

I have always considered a penetrant and surfactant as doing 2 completely different things.

Eraser is the best and only one I use. I spray all my fences with it. Barbed and electric. Once you dilute it, it goes a long way. I did a mile of fence on one bottle. Knocks out all grass, weeds, 4 ft tall Johnson grass, you name it. I just use remedy for mesquite.

Latest posts