Fence-line Cedars

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
What is your preferred method of controlling cedars in fencelines? Anything from seedlings up to 4' or so?

Thanks.

If you can get to them when they are small I have used a tree puller on skid loader. You can grab them and just back up. Crossbow seems to knock back small cedars pretty decent too.

callmefence":b1zskfcq said:
1 quart Tordan 22
1 quart remedy. To 25 gallons water.
Will absolutely smoke em that size.
high volume foliar method

Thanks.
A quart of remedy in 25 gallons? That's pretty potent.

I agree on the clippers/chainsaw/grabber, just looking for something a little more friendly around woven wire fencing.

cfpinz":38xwkgeb said:
callmefence":38xwkgeb said:
1 quart Tordan 22

Thanks.

I agree on the clippers/chainsaw/grabber, just looking for something a little more friendly around woven wire fencing.

Yes it is. You can actually do without the remedy. The tordon will kill them alone. I've often got a landlord or customer involved and the remedy gives a almost instant burn. Which is customer pleasing. The tordon hangs around for several months and does in any attempt to come back. We use the same mix on pears

cfpinz":4w2f54z4 said:
callmefence":4w2f54z4 said:
1 quart Tordan 22

Thanks.

Pulling the dead stuff out of woven wire is worse then pulling the live stuff.

dun":1h4h6w3d said:
cfpinz":1h4h6w3d said:
callmefence":1h4h6w3d said:
1 quart Tordan 22

Thanks.

Your wrong sir.
Plus if you pull live ones this year you get to pull em again next year

callmefence":oi9j5kcq said:
cfpinz":oi9j5kcq said:
callmefence":oi9j5kcq said:
1 quart Tordan 22

Thanks.

Yes it is. You can actually do without the remedy. The tordon will kill them alone. I've often got a landlord or customer involved and the remedy gives a almost instant burn. Which is customer pleasing. The tordon hangs around for several months and does in any attempt to come back. We use the same mix on pears

Thanks. Never messed with Tordon before, will give it a whirl.

dun":2dnx72hr said:

In that case I'll get the wife an extra pair of gloves, don't want her having to stop what she's doing to come back to the house and look for them.

callmefence":3hyt6v45 said:
dun":3hyt6v45 said:
cfpinz":3hyt6v45 said:
Thanks.

Your wrong sir.
I'm referring to the branches that grow through the wire. If they are cut close to the ground, i.e. below the lowest growth the won;t come back. The dried branches get much harder to cut and the break, at least when they are live the bend and can be removed easily.

dun":1i0gwtgc said:
callmefence":1i0gwtgc said:
dun":1i0gwtgc said:

Your wrong sir.
I'm referring to the branches that grow through the wire. If they are cut close to the ground, i.e. below the lowest growth the won;t come back. The dried branches get much harder to cut and the break, at least when they are live the bend and can be removed easily.

Okeedoky.....

BigYoung":1j9ekkhi said:
Hey Fence,

Do you find these herbicides causing and corrosion to the wire?

I haven't noticed any problems with galvanized wire. It is pretty corrosive stuff though. Just like you I've noticed it affects the paint on the ATV. And yes you need a license to buy it.
It's the only thing I've found that will consistently kill cedar and prickly pear.
Experimenting some with pasture guard but won't be able to day until next year

I used Tordon for years on Prickly Pear with good results but have now switched to Surmount after a recommendation from my chemical supplier. Its a little cheaper and seems to work a little faster.

Chocolate Cow":2hgjjvel said:
Tordon is a restricted use pesticide. Got to have a license to buy & use. in case you didn't know-cfpinz.
unless you can get by with rtu tordon in small containers. 1 qt at a time.

Latest posts