fence help

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have about 100 head 60 momma cows and 40 calves on about 100 acres. athere is cross fencing all over the place. I am having trouble with cows wanting the grass on the other side of the fence. I don't have any crazy cattle. I hand feed them and can pet every one of my cows. I have 5 strand barb wire,roll wire and am installing an electric fence. any suggestions for keeping these cows from roaming next door. these are not problem cows it is just they want the grass that is on the other side of the fence. will tightning the barbwire help . any suggestions welcome. thanks

We run a strand of high tensile electric fence in the middle of our Bard wire fence that runs our perimeter. The cows graze up to the fence but never touch it. The fence is just as tight as when we installed it and the only heavy post in it are the corner post. For cross fencing we use one strand of high tensile fence. If the calves go under to creep graze good for them but the cows stay put.

you might be over grazing, if your cell grazing you might need to move them sooner to a new field.if you have fence jumpers cull them. any cow of mine that goes over, under or through a 5 wire fence will be in the freezer or at the sale barn. but with 100 head on 100 acs. im sure the grass is greener on the other side 8) 8)

I go along with the probable over grazing.

dun

WORANCH":v2b16lot said:
you might be over grazing, if your cell grazing you might need to move them sooner to a new field.if you have fence jumpers cull them. any cow of mine that goes over, under or through a 5 wire fence will be in the freezer or at the sale barn. but with 100 head on 100 acs. im sure the grass is greener on the other side 8) 8)

I've gotten a little bit tired of post tamping lately... We started rebuilding a bunch of fence and have more in the making. If only T-posts and barbed wire weren't so high priced. It amazes all the passer bys that a teenager lines up, and tamp all the post as fast as grandpa and the rest of the crew can get them dug.

Ah, youth!

dun

Jake":2qcw0ugh said:
I've gotten a little bit tired of post tamping lately... We started rebuilding a bunch of fence and have more in the making. If only T-posts and barbed wire weren't so high priced. It amazes all the passer bys that a teenager lines up, and tamp all the post as fast as grandpa and the rest of the crew can get them dug.

I'm glad I can use while I have it... instead of like a bunch of my counter parts doing drugs and playing video games

Some year I'm plannin on making a tour through the south heading down to a few big ranches to check them out with some of my "free time" I'll look you guys up if I ever get it planned.

Jake

You'll be welcome here. As much as it rains here I put a Bar B Que
Grill on my deck under the roof.

You may not be able to get away from Cherokee if you stop there first.
She is probaly cooks better than me anyways.

lol
I'm glad I have an invite at your place I wish I had the reins of this place... I'd return the favor to you

My grandma's home fixins will prolly lead my back home though I think it's her for sure bid of making sure we all come home to see them...

that is exactly what i want to do except i want to go out west a little bit. after high school and i cant wait. me and a friend in teh same grade both want to do it and i cant wait. seein so many different farms and ranch setups can really get me excited and i cant wait. ttyl

joe

dun":2fy6yp05 said:
I go along with the probable over grazing.

dun

WORANCH":2fy6yp05 said:

ditto on the overgrazing in my opinion, too.

jake, when you make that tour, i'll extend an invitation to you to visit south texas as well.

Latest posts