Fence Fixed

Help Support CattleToday:

K-SHIRES

Reaction score
Growing up on a dairy farm, we had a neighbor whose fences were even worse than his pastures. Many days their cows would wander amongst our cows. Diplomacy having failed, Dad hit upon an idea. We milked two hours early. We milked our cows, and their cows, then put them back.
*After 3 days of THAT, a new fence went up.*

K-SHIRES":3d3mjzcx said:
Growing up on a dairy farm, we had a neighbor whose fences were even worse than his pastures. Many days their cows would wander amongst our cows. Diplomacy having failed, Dad hit upon an idea. We milked two hours early. We milked our cows, and their cows, then put them back.

K-SHIRES, if it was your neighbor's fences that were bad, how did his cows wonder amongst yours? What were you doing to keep his cows out of your pasture? That post doesn't make any sense to me. You stole from your neighbor because your fences weren't good enough to keep his cows out? Your property is your responsibility and you are responsible for protecting it, and your cattle. That is the law with legal precidences that go back hundreds of years.

backhoeboogie":1q65rran said:
K-SHIRES":1q65rran said:

K-SHIRES, if it was your neighbor's fences that were bad, how did his cows wonder amongst yours? What were you doing to keep his cows out of your pasture? That post doesn't make any sense to me. You stole from your neighbor because your fences weren't good enough to keep his cows out? Your property is your responsibility and you are responsible for protecting it, and your cattle. That is the law with legal precidences that go back hundreds of years.

Maybe I need to repost this: It depends on whether you're in a free range area or not. Around here you are responsible for keeping your critters in.

Perhaps K-SHIRES is not in a free range area. If my neighbor's cattle are getting in my pasture where they don't belong then it is his responsibility to keep them on his property. Our Sheriff's dept. will also pick up the offending cows and haul them to the auction barn if said neighbor is uncooperative.

If it happened enough times, some of those cows might have jumped into my freezer after a good milking!!

If his fences were bad and his cattle got out, your fences in turn were the same in order for his cattle to get mixed with yours.Around here if it's not a cross fence on the place, my neighbors and I both maintain it.That is if the fence is between me and the neighbors.

Cal

I can sympathize with K-Shires! I have had problems with my neighbors "everything" coming on over for a visit. I've rebuilt "our" fence, put up electric fences and tried almost everything else. The visits range from horses, cattle, pigs, dogs and cats. I gave up on trying to raise guineas because of the dogs. He finally took care of them when he found one of his wife's shoes that the dog had drug over here. Unfortunately, he does not have any milk cows. I almost wish he had one!

ok, so you will milk the cow and then kill it for beef? hummm I know you are just kidding right?

not that it is a habit, but things do happen and some of my cows do go on walk-about at times. and I have insurance for such occasions, and fortunately some really good neighbors that understand that things can and do happen.

Woke up one day to find my neighbors horse in our garden, ruined it, but hey things happen. To me, it meant I didn't have to weed anymore.

Know of a fellow that lost his house to fire while he was at church. Kind of mysterious like. Seems not long before he shot a cow that wandered into his yard. Cow did no no damage except for some droppings and grass eaten. Pretty big price to pay for that . :x :cboy:

Latest posts