fence costs

Help Support CattleToday:

jbender

Reaction score
my nieghbors cows are coming into my place becuse they ruined our fence that my step dad built to keep out the cows when he bought the place ( we dont have any livestock) wich is about 20 feet on my side of property line and the other guy nevr has put up a fence on his side. do i have to split the costs to keep his cows out?

If your fence is 20' inside your property line and your neighbors cattle have ruined it HE should pay to repair it. Why should you split it with him? His Ins. should pay for the fence.

Your fence on your property, his destruction = his cost.

And ask for grazing payment also for grazing on your land. Ok maybe not. Only if it gets ugly.

I don't know how it is everywhere else but around here most fences are partnership fences, each landowner is responsible for different sections of the fence. If it's one landowners section that is bad he is responsible for fixing it wether its his cattle going through the fence or the neighbors. You can tell whos section is whos by which side of the fence the posts are on.

around here your side is to the right end when your looking at it from your side of the property, their is usualy a post, or corner as a marker

jbender":29060m8l said:
my nieghbors cows are coming into my place becuse they ruined our fence that my step dad built to keep out the cows when he bought the place ( we dont have any livestock) wich is about 20 feet on my side of property line and the other guy nevr has put up a fence on his side. do i have to split the costs to keep his cows out?

Talk to the neighbor again about fixing the fence, you have no responsibilty to repair the fence. This is the reason we don't share fences. Good fences make good neighbors. Do yall have a county Stockman, if so have his cattle impounded, if he doesn't fix the fence. Bailing them out of impound gets pretty costly quick.

Around here a good neighbor will split the coast of a fence with you. However in you situation HE needs to repair the fence and keep his cattle on his proplerty. In the future if you put up a new fence you sdhould ask him to split the cost and I would DEFINATLY put the fence on the property line.

Different states have different fence laws. In Texas I am fairly certain that the landowner is responsible for upkeep on HIS fence in order to keep Their cattle OUT. Strange but I think I'm correct.

In my part of utah there is a strange law on the books. If a property line goes unchallenged for so many years, the fence line becomes the property line. So, in other words, if my fence was 20 feet inside my property, and it stayed that way for so many years (not sure how many), and the property line was never disputed or recognized, the neighbor actually could claim it was his property. Kind of like a "possession is nine-tenths of the law" kind of thing. It probably isn't like that everywhere, but here ...

In fact, Brigham Young University, a private university, closes all of it's campus streets once a year just so the county has to "recognize" that the streets are actually private property.

Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:07 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my part of utah there is a strange law on the books. If a property line goes unchallenged for so many years, the fence line becomes the property line. So, in other words, if my fence was 20 feet inside my property, and it stayed that way for so many years (not sure how many), and the property line was never disputed or recognized, the neighbor actually could claim it was his property. Kind of like a "possession is nine-tenths of the law" kind of thing. It probably isn't like that everywhere, but here ...

In fact, Brigham Young University, a private university, closes all of it's campus streets once a year just so the county has to "recognize" that the streets are actually private property.

Interesting.

Latest posts