Fence Cost

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
Any idea on what it costs to build a standard barbed wire fence (per linear foot) in northeast kansas?
Not material costs, rather total turn key cost.

KANSAS":3g6hxswd said:
Any idea on what it costs to build a standard barbed wire fence (per linear foot) in northeast kansas?

What are you using for posts? T-Posts or Wood? What gauge Wire? How many strands? Are you doing the labor, or are you looking for an installed price?

Crowderfarms":3j2xp6k5 said:
KANSAS":3j2xp6k5 said:

What are you using for posts? T-Posts or Wood? What gauge Wire? How many strands? Are you doing the labor, or are you looking for an installed price?

That is what I was thinking too Crowder. What are the specs? What is the terrain? Is there brush or trees to clear? Are there survey stakes? How much real estate are you fencing? All these things figure in to costs per foot, in addition to specs.

KANSAS":1k0fdzys said:

Just curious--is barb wire the standard in your area? Because we build mostly hi-tensile in SE IN. It has to be electrified, but my family had some built for $1.50/ft by a contractor. 6 wires, 2 hot. Creosote posts. One water crossing. About 20' spacing on the posts, which is too close but that's what the neighbor wanted and he was paying half.

I do a lot of custom fencing and i have been getting 1.25per foot for all hedge posts 5 barbwires. or 1.00per foot for 4 steel and a hedge with 5 wires.

Im just curious why you guys down south use such heavy duty fenceing We use high tennsil wire here now days and personally (I hope I never have to touch barb again) RUN 2 strands-- post (3-4 inch-treated) put posts 60 feet apart one real good electric fencer they dont want to tackel that twice costs about 550.00 canadian a mile-- probably475.00 US dollars.

carl

Carlos D.":1c8ohh7p said:
Im just curious why you guys down south use such heavy duty fenceing We use high tennsil wire here now days and personally (I hope I never have to touch barb again) RUN 2 strands-- post (3-4 inch-treated) put posts 60 feet apart one real good electric fencer they dont want to tackel that twice costs about 550.00 canadian a mile-- probably475.00 US dollars.

carl

I'd never get away with fences like that round' here. The Deer are hard on Barb Wire here. Hot wires dont seem to phase them.

Crowderfarms":1x10log8 said:
Carlos D.":1x10log8 said:

carl

I'd never get away with fences like that round' here. The Deer are hard on Barb Wire here. Hot wires dont seem to phase them.
You know thats a funny thing. we have lots of deer in our area but they always clear them and for sure I havent heard of any fence damage due to deer ---we have more and more elk I can sure see how they could damage fences I wonder if you have different breed of deer thereI know in the northern states they have mule deer So thats 2 different breeds that I know of

carl

Carlos D.":2fxe3tor said:
Im just curious why you guys down south use such heavy duty fenceing
carl

I would consider the following a good, solid, normal fence down here:
I like a 6 strand barbed wire fence or a net wire field fence with 1 strand barbed wire on top. All posts are T posts, 10'-12' apart and H posts on the ends are constructed of pipe and concreted. In case of fire, this type fence won't burn up, plus it does a pretty good job of keeping most animals in the pasture.

I don't see how people keep animals in an electric fence with only a couple of wires. :?:

TXBobcat":ezcvjj8o said:
Carlos D.":ezcvjj8o said:
Im just curious why you guys down south use such heavy duty fenceing
carl

I would consider the following a good, solid, normal fence down here:
I like a 6 strand barbed wire fence or a net wire field fence with 1 strand barbed wire on top. All posts are T posts, 10'-12' apart and H posts on the ends are constructed of pipe and concreted. In case of fire, this type fence won't burn up, plus it does a pretty good job of keeping most animals in the pasture.

I don't see how people keep animals in an electric fence with only a couple of wires. :?:
I dont know either mabey we got better ground or something but guaranteed when they get zapped a couple times they dont want to go back --I cannot even get my horse to cross a wire laying on the ground.Another thing I was wondering how big are your pastures down there ,ours are generally from 40-300 acres mabey that makes a difference--Also where I live Im 25 miles to town and can often drive there without meeting a car.So if there was the odd calf out nobody cares--but as a rule I see very little stock out

carl

Carlos D.":1cd2deo7 said:
Another thing I was wondering how big are your pastures down there ,ours are generally from 40-300 acres mabey that makes a difference--

carl

I think pasture size could very well make a difference. The smaller the pasture, the more the animals will be pushing on a fence.

As far as pasture size goes, I think it varies greatly depending on where you are at in the state. In West and South Texas, the pastures are proabably bigger 100-500 acres. In the more populated areas, they might range from 10-100 acres.

Carlos D.":30pkrlvk said:
Crowderfarms":30pkrlvk said:
Carlos D.":30pkrlvk said:

carl

You know thats a funny thing. we have lots of deer in our area but they always clear them and for sure I havent heard of any fence damage due to deer ---we have more and more elk I can sure see how they could damage fences I wonder if you have different breed of deer thereI know in the northern states they have mule deer So thats 2 different breeds that I know of

carl

While I cannot speak for Crowder I live in the same general area as he does and I would think that he has the same experience. The deer here have a tendency to crawl under or thru fences when they can, especially does. Our whitetails usually run to the smaller size of the species and they can worm under a fence like a mole. I use 5 strand barb with t-posts every 10 feet and a wood post every 75 feet and two braced wood posts every 150 feet for tensioning. Here in this area of the south there are allot of cattle farms and that means allot of bulls seperated only by a fence. A good fence goes a long way in detering them from mixing it up.

HOSS":3jlfb8y8 said:
Carlos D.":3jlfb8y8 said:
Crowderfarms":3jlfb8y8 said:
Carlos D.":3jlfb8y8 said:

carl

carl

While I cannot speak for Crowder I live in the same general area as he does and I would think that he has the same experience. The deer here have a tendency to crawl under or thru fences when they can, especially does. Our whitetails usually run to the smaller size of the species and they can worm under a fence like a mole. I use 5 strand barb with t-posts every 10 feet and a wood post every 75 feet and two braced wood posts every 150 feet for tensioning. Here in this area of the south there are allot of cattle farms and that means allot of bulls seperated only by a fence. A good fence goes a long way in detering them from mixing it up.

I saw a deer at full speed hit the hi-tensile. Must have been so panicked it forgot to jump. It went sideways between the wires and rolled, got up and ran off. The fence wasn't damaged.
Here, T posts will rot off in very few years. And the barb wire rusts way before the hi tensile. And I don't have to work with barb wire.
Different strokes for different folks.

john250":zgeulbxg said:
HOSS":zgeulbxg said:
Carlos D.":zgeulbxg said:
Crowderfarms":zgeulbxg said:
Carlos D.":zgeulbxg said:

carl

carl

I saw a deer at full speed hit the hi-tensile. Must have been so panicked it forgot to jump. It went sideways between the wires and rolled, got up and ran off. The fence wasn't damaged.
Here, T posts will rot off in very few years. And the barb wire rusts way before the hi tensile. And I don't have to work with barb wire.
Different strokes for different folks.
I never have seen a deer go under a wire -so ours must be a bigger species. Soooo if you southern boys ever come to Canada for deer hunting --better bring your biggest texas truck.

Deer can be pesky critters sometimes. If they find a spot where your bottom strand of wire is higher because of a low spot in the ground they will wear out a trough in the ground going back and forth under the fence. You will normally see back hair on the barbs where it scratches their back. I also find belly hair on the top strand from jumpers and a mixture if they go between strands. If I find a good fence crossing ( a place that they prefer to cross) up goes a tree stand as that spot will funnel deer to me. ;-)

Latest posts