Fence choice

Help Support CattleToday:

jgn

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to run a strand of electric fence around all the boundary fence that connects with neighboring property. I own the cows on halves with my father-inlaw and he owns the land. Since none of the fence is any good including the parts the neighbor is responsible for(partnership fences) and our bull likes to visit his cows since we don't have enough to keep him busy full time this is the only feasible solution at this time. Both my father-inlaw and neighbor are older and I'm sure not willing to install new fencing around the entire property. I have been leaning toward running a strand of 15 1/2 ga. barbed wire but would like to know if smooth hi-tensile would be just as good. I would need 6 rolls of barbed wire at 29.50 a 1320' roll or 2 rolls of hi-tensile for 75.00 each a 4000' roll and still have about 1500' of the hi-tensile left to run interior fencing with. I like the idea of the smooth but wonder if it would do as good as the barbed. Sorry so long.

I have used 12 1/2 gauge high tensile wire to fence my whole place. I like it much better than barbed wire. It is cheaper and easier to install, as you don't need as many posts. The problem you will eventually run into is that the old fence will inevitably get into your electric fence. ;-) :cboy:

That would work well. The barbs help to dig in and make the shock hurt in the winter when the coat is so thick smoot wire doesn't do much and for a bull it takes a good HOT wire any time of the year if there are cycling cows on the other side of the fence. I'd suggest putting up 2 wires though. Put the lower one so that you don't have to worry about calves the higher to keep cows and your bull from jumping it.

IMHO... I would use at least 2 strands of high- tensile wire( better voltage) and beef up your corners a bit. Possibly remove a few bad posts to get a spacing of 30 - 60 ft depending on your terrain....I would also remove all the other fence wire from the fence as well.I agree with Springer.... It will eventually get tangled in your electric and ground it out.

Lastly i would buy a lightening diverter and a Gallagher digital fence tester.they are money well spent.

Speedrite has an excellent how to book available..

good luck :) :)

Thanks for the opinions, I don't have any problems with the cows or calves just the bull. I'll be getting rid of this bull after this years breeding but I'm sure I'd have the same problem again eventually. Hopefully one day I'll be able to buy the property and take care of the problem permanently.

Latest posts