fence charger

Help Support CattleToday:

chukar

Reaction score
I am looking at going from a gallagher solar charger to a 110v mains of some kind.

I came across a Parmak for sale, sorry I don't have any details than it is supposed to be rated for 30 miles.

Question, is this a good brand? The seller is asking less than half of new price and says it is a year old. Sounds good to me if the thing works?

I'll post the model when I get that info.

Thanks

We have 1 Parmak chargers and it works real well, it's a 12 volt one. All of our other chargers a Gallaghers. The only think I don;t like about the Parmak is that it has a metal case and it has a little rust on it from being used outside.

Thanks,

I will give the guy a call in the morning and see what he has to say. From looking online, it looks like it is a "model 7", but before they put the digital read out on the power unit. Maybe that will help someone on here to know how old of a unit it really is.

This would be hung on the wall in our pumphouse with a buried lead going to the fence about 30ft away. My idea was to run a single wire around the existing perimeter fence and just tie off onto it for the interior cross fencing.

Nobody else around here does any of this, so it is going to be an experiment, but we spent quite a bit of money putting in the KLine sprinklers this fall with this is mind.

Thanks

What don't you like about the Gallagher solar unit? I have the big one and have no issues with it. Matter of fact, I bought it at an auction as a sealed package. I went to use it and the circuit panel was bad. (my bad luck) I called Gallagher and the told me to send it in and the will warranty it. I had it back a couple weeks later. Can't ask for better customer service.

I use a Parmak Mark 7 w/ the digital readout and it will light you up if you grab it. Make sure you put in a good ground though. I have had it get taken out by lightning last summer and it cost me $35 to fix and was out for about 2.5 weeks - FWIW

parmak makes a good fencer, but they do have trouble with lightning hitting them more often than other brands. had used 5-50 milers before & all ended up getting hit by lightning. last rep i talked to at farm show a few years ago admitted they still had that problem. they did stand behind them for a while.

While we are on this subject. Do any of you use a battery charger as a back up for when the power is off? If so what do you recommend for that day or two needed after a ice storm.

Douglas":grbx3vdw said:
While we are on this subject. Do any of you use a battery charger as a back up for when the power is off? If so what do you recommend for that day or two needed after a ice storm.
If it's going to be that long we run the generator and power the whole farm. We use the 12 volt jobs for a lot of runs that are only about up to a 1/2 mile.

Latest posts