Female Park Ranger shot/killed at Mt. Rainier yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Because she questioned someone. They found a body today, of the guy they think was the shooter, in a drainage area in the Park -- dressed in a t-shirt and jeans; not dressed for cold weather -- and believe his cause of death was hypothermia. He was having problems with his ex. . . . . . I'm so glad he died cold and wet, rather than from his own fast bullet!

I'm sure Hillsdown could say more, but what about the nutcase who shot his ex GF and 3 others in alberta a month ago??? he had 3 or 4 rifles in his truck, all registered

the only thing that's going to prevent firearms abuse is *DAMNED* sever penalties for abuse

Nesikep":1r591lwb said:
I'm sure Hillsdown could say more, but what about the nutcase who shot his ex GF and 3 others in alberta a month ago??? he had 3 or 4 rifles in his truck, all registered

the only thing that's going to prevent firearms abuse is *DAMNED* sever penalties for abuse

Penalties are not going to stop anything I hate to tell you.

Cain slew Able it has been going on since the beginning of time.
We had a nut up north can't remeber the town blew up the school over taxes and killed a pile of kids 75 to 80 years ago.
Somebody that is willing to kill you or want's you dead will find a way.

One of the good things about our mountains here this time of the year. An unprepared bad guy running off to hide in the mountains..... well the mountains will take care of him.

This guy shot up a New year's eve party south of Seattle. He sent four people to the hospital there. Then he runs off to Mt Rainier. Why he went there is unclear. To hide? Not a place to hide this time of year.

It's sad all the way around. Sure he's responsible for his actions but at the same time there's gotta be some issues there that should have been addressed by others way before it got to that point. I'm not for sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong but at the same time there's a time when we have to spot a neighbor/freind/family member/church member that has a heavier load than they can bear and step in to help. He's responsible for what he did but I feel that there's more for everyone in contact with him to answer for than just murder.

Gotta agree the Wade guy is an idiot.

I don't know cp, looks from the article that everyone around the guy knew he had issues and was doing what they could. What works for one person doesn't work for another.
There's no good answers for a situation like this. Pretty obvious to me why he headed for a mountain, not so easy to explain.

Making the story worse, if that's possible, is how many highly trained veterans are returning home to find no work, no appropriate mental health services and no place to relieve stress. Guns aren't the problem.

gimpyrancher":7ie5ezow said:
Making the story worse, if that's possible, is how many highly trained veterans are returning home to find no work, no appropriate mental health services and no place to relieve stress. Guns aren't the problem.
Unfortunately, some of those returning vets refuse services -- I don't think they can force them to accept a program. But I agree, that the services are often hard-fought to get for those that will. Sad, bad deal. Beat up on your senators and congress people. Write letters; send emails. Don't bytch that they don't pay attention until you've made the effort.

I know one guy in my area who is a really nice guy, but well, in the dark seasons he goes nuts, he lives in a dark hollow, no sun, very isolated, and he just gets imbalanced... starts to shun his friends, etc... I've gone down to his place to find a 30-30 on the back of his 1950's 5ton flatdeck truck, him nowhere in sight, door ajar. I worry about him, but between myself and his other friends we've found there is just nothing we can do that will help and that he will accept. I probably will go down there one of these weeks again and see if he's brightened up a bit.

Nesikep":1uvfzdqh said:
I know one guy in my area who is a really nice guy, but well, in the dark seasons he goes nuts, he lives in a dark hollow, no sun, very isolated, and he just gets imbalanced... starts to shun his friends, etc... I've gone down to his place to find a 30-30 on the back of his 1950's 5ton flatdeck truck, him nowhere in sight, door ajar. I worry about him, but between myself and his other friends we've found there is just nothing we can do that will help and that he will accept. I probably will go down there one of these weeks again and see if he's brightened up a bit.
That's said, Neskikep. You're a good friend to check on him. I hope you don't go down there some time and find him dead, but I'm sure you've thought about the same thing. :(

The more mental health services are cut, the more we're going to hear about things like this.

We had a young guy recently that tried repeatedly to get mental health services and was refused because of budget cuts. He ended up starting one of our newest and biggest malls in the area on fire. Burnt a large portion down. He finally got mental health treatment in Prison.

Not sure which is going to end up being more expensive, the cost to rebuild the mall or providing him mental health treatment and permanent housing?

gimpyrancher":ga4yex47 said:
The more mental health services are cut, the more we're going to hear about things like this.

We had a young guy recently that tried repeatedly to get mental health services and was refused because of budget cuts. He ended up starting one of our newest and biggest malls in the area on fire. Burnt a large portion down. He finally got mental health treatment in Prison.

Not sure which is going to end up being more expensive, the cost to rebuild the mall or providing him mental health treatment and permanent housing?

Sadly, it seems we spend more money on people that don't need it than on people that do.

I'm trying to gather up a story that I saw a couple of weeks ago, in the IDAHO STATESMAN newspaper (Boise) that said, in essence, that the Gov. was going to move into the general fund X$, and it was a lot, from the State's veterans' fund, leaving some money to upgrade a couple of vet clinics in Idaho, and some to upgrade computer systems. As I recall, more was going to go back to the general fund than was going to be retained for vet benefits. To go back a couple of weeks, I think it takes a subscription . . . but I'm looking.

I don't know if the guy that killed the ranger in WA received help -- if he even wanted any help. Not much else has come out on this story since they found his body.

Nesikep":2q24rr8w said:

Nothing would have stopped him from murder and attempted murder . That was just a very very horrible situation ,he was ending his life and didn't care who he took with him. Gun control is only for law abiding, God fearing people , not for the criminals or the insane .

I go back to my own situation when I was close to the same age as those kids, but I did speak up about the abuse. Had pressed charges which led to a restraining order and him seeing a psychiatrist ,yet everyone (his parents ,friends etc.) dismissed his abusive behavior as a guy thing . I am fortunate to be here today ,by the grace of God I had changed my plans that evening and was not where I should have been and he only killed himself ,not me as well.

hillsdown":nq449joz said:
Nesikep":nq449joz said:

Nothing would have stopped him from murder and attempted murder . That was just a very very horrible situation ,he was ending his life and didn't care who he took with him. Gun control is only for law abiding, God fearing people , not for the criminals or the insane .

I go back to my own situation when I was close to the same age as those kids, but I did speak up about the abuse. Had pressed charges which led to a restraining order and him seeing a psychiatrist ,yet everyone (his parents ,friends etc.) dismissed his abusive behavior as a guy thing . I am fortunate to be here today ,by the grace of God I had changed my plans that evening and was not where I should have been and he only killed himself ,not me as well.

Oh, Lordy, Hillsdown -- sounds awful! :shock:

Latest posts