Feltons Legend 242

Help Support CattleToday:

I have seen a few bulls sired by him, they were good, but nothing special, had very little or no eye pigment though.

Unfortunately I haven't seen the dams of these bulls to make a better judgement of 242's share in their makeup

I've seen calves sired by him - they were OK, but as Knersie said, nothing special.

My criticism, and the reason that I wouldn't use him, is because he has Titan 23D in his pedigree.

George

Herefords.US":3u14vj13 said:
I've seen calves sired by him - they were OK, but as Knersie said, nothing special.

My criticism, and the reason that I wouldn't use him, is because he has Titan 23D in his pedigree.

George

I did not know that, which isn't surpising.... thanks I'll do a little pedigree research.

Alan

I'm familar with the rumors/problems with Titan 23D. I see that If you go back 5 gens. on Legend 242 he does have the Titan bull there. Meaning he is 1/16th (or just over 6%) Titan 23D.

How much a of a problem is this. in your opinion. Question is for anyone who wants to answer.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":2ty21r0k said:
I'm familar with the rumors/problems with Titan 23D. I see that If you go back 5 gens. on Legend 242 he does have the Titan bull there. Meaning he is 1/16th (or just over 6%) Titan 23D.

How much a of a problem is this. in your opinion. Question is for anyone who wants to answer.

Thanks,
Alan

It's a problem for some breeders. For that reason, I have chosen to just avoid it - at least until I see a bull that is so perfect for my own breeding program, that I would use him in spite of it. There's plenty of other options out there.

To other breeders, it's not important.

It's something that everyone needs to make up their own mind about. At least the registration papers are the same color on 23D decsendants.

George

For reference:

Titan_23D.jpg

And Alan, you don't remember this thread? You started it!

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29764

George

Alan":avcga4qh said:
Any thoughts, good or bad on this bull? He is a bull that seems to have great carcass traits, as good of REA and IMF EPDs on one animal.

Anyone have calves one the ground with thoughts to share?

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 620&9=545E

I haven't been overly impressed with this bull, but his EPD's and the accuracies are telling a different story. He kinda fell out of immediate popularity and now he is now regaining it....probably for his 774 bloodline, the fact he is a Feltons bred bull, his carcass and his BW EPD's. I would have thought there would be more thickness in his calves. I don't think he is neccessarily an improver bull, other then in BW and carcass. I know I was suprised how little his momma brought at the Feltons dispersal. I know he is not prone to strong pigmentation or cutting the white. There is not a huge amount of buzz out there on his daughters in production either, but they show to be slightly over 100% in their contemporary groups... which is what you would expext on a popular AI sire. I think he has value commercially and merit for replacement seedstock.

Only good I have seen out of him was a Donor cow for Dunrovin Farm that he bought in the 2004 Boyd Beef Cattle sale and she was a 242 daughter. I saw Morrisons Stock Farm sale catalog and wasn't impressed with any of his daughters that were up for sale. 242's dam, G15, is here in VA, but I don't know if she is still alive or not? She is a pretty impressive donor cow for Deer Track Farm and Rolling Hills Farm.

Also, the only son I like sired by Legend is, SHF Progress P20 from the Schultz herd in Kansas.

THG

If he is bred the same way it seems that a lot of his daughters are frail boned. A lot of them don't have the meatiness to them, nor the hip, rear, or depth for that matter. I would look into the progress bull. i would venture to say that he is probably the best 242 son available.

Decent calves, worlds better the VPI Limited Edition but not near as good as 774 calves

Herefords.US":5jbty6gt said:
Alan":5jbty6gt said:

Thanks,
Alan

It's a problem for some breeders. For that reason, I have chosen to just avoid it - at least until I see a bull that is so perfect for my own breeding program, that I would use him in spite of it. There's plenty of other options out there.

To other breeders, it's not important.

It's something that everyone needs to make up their own mind about. At least the registration papers are the same color on 23D decsendants.

George

George-

Do you have any other lists of popular bulls that trace back to Titan 23D? I've heard it in the 774 sired bulls and just wondered if some people were not using the 774 sons but instead another bull that had 23D in there some where.'

Just my curiousity wondering. If you don't thats fine.

CPL":1jexerqo said:
George-

Do you have any other lists of popular bulls that trace back to Titan 23D? I've heard it in the 774 sired bulls and just wondered if some people were not using the 774 sons but instead another bull that had 23D in there some where.'

Just my curiousity wondering. If you don't thats fine.

If you see Prime Time, Horizon, or Summit in the names in the pedigree, there's a good chance that Titan 23D is back there.

All of those bulls were used quite a bit.

Tex Prime Time was the bull that much of the diluter problem was reported to have come from. And that problem rejuvenated the debate about Titan 23D having Simmi blood in him.

George

Alan,

I posted a couple of pics of a weanling 242 bull calf I'm currently raising on this thread:

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39515

If you read the thread you'll see, I'm still on the fence on him but you can give him a look just for reference.

Just one more note, my calf has what I consider very adequate eye pigment, but he may have inherited most of that from his Postive Plus Dam.

Latest posts