Feltons legend 242

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS":a5o2xi8f said:
Herefords.US":a5o2xi8f said:
KNERSIE":a5o2xi8f said:
How about evaluating Legend phenotypically?

The first thing that springs to mind is that I would like to see the muscling going down lower on the gaskins, the rest looks OK to me from what I can judge from the photo from Reed Enterprizes website. Doc what do you think?

Tried to post the photo, but didn't succeed, can anybody help?

[/img]

hp816lgd.jpg
Hereford.US - I agree with your suggestion that he be evaluated phenotypically! It seems to me that the majority of the comments in relationship to judging certain animals (Bulls or Cows) on the Forum specifies only one or two particular features - "Don't like his daughters" - or - "Not enough milk" - or - "Too much milk" - or - "Frame too small" and so on. The ONE SINGLE problem that I detect with Evaluations of Bulls is: they are NOT analysed in total. Phenotype is only part of the answer. Genetype is only another part of the answer. They are probably the two most important parts in determining what a bull IS -but when it comes down to putting the knock on a bull because of what his progeny LOOKS like, or how his progeny PERFORMS, most breeders seem to forget that a COW is part of that bull's progeny also - and HER phenotype and Genotype has a great deal to do with how the calve's will look and perform!

The PICTURE of this bull is just that - a PICTURE! But it is the only image that we have, so we have to go with itl You are right, Hereford.US, and I agree with you - he is a fine bull phenotypically, with the exception of his lower hindquarters not extending down to his gaskins enough. It is difficult to determine from this picture, but I would say that he is probably a little sickle-hocked and light-boned. Observe the angle of his left rear leg and foot position. He stands a little close at the hocks (in this picture!) But the "Gaskin" weakness is the main problem. I will admit that this is nit-picking, but he is what he is. But to determine whether or not he should be used to establish the TYPE of cattle a breeder will be using by keeping replacements for several seasons takes a lot more consideration of characteristics than what the bull alone can bring to the program. But we have discussed this situation in the past, and the solid facts are still the same: Look at the bull's mamma and the cows to which he will be mated before saying he doesn't have any brown around his eyes! That is true, but a small factor with not too high a priority in the final analysis.

DOC HARRIS

Taking everything into consideration isn;t always required. If your litmus test is the quality of the daughters, poor daughters is enough to eliminate the bull. If you're generating nothing but sale barn calves, who cares about pheno/genotype. All you need are calves that are muscled, have adequate frame and can move easily. Granted that's a short sighted view but you have to look at what is the bulls purpose. When we select any animal we have certain criteria they must meet. Only after that do we get into the traits/characteristics that are less important for our purposes.
With different prioritys different things are what drives the choice. If any one selection criteria fit everyone there would only be one bull in each breed and the need for only one breed.

dun

AHHH!!! A devils advocate , can you supply more information on this thought process ?

Not really a devil's advocate, just trying to make up my mind about it.

What more information can I give you?

Badlands

Latest posts