FELTONS DOMINO 774

Help Support CattleToday:

alexfarms

Reaction score
Did FELTONS DOMINO 774 have extra white down the back? I have wondered, but never heard. I saw a maternal brother to his sire, or at least calves by a maternal brother to his sire, at the Meyerink dispersion and they had alot of white...supper milking females. I know Felton wasn't afraid to use cattle with extra white if they were good enough and I just haven't seen a picture where I could tell for sure.

FELTONSDOMINO774.jpg

Do remember that 774 had a long white cap clear back to his sholders,can't recall if he had a true lineback. If i was you I would check back through his pedigree and see what shows up. you are right Frank did'nt pay much attention to color and markings. He once asked me what I thought of his cow's and I told him he did'nt have enough pigment, he quickly ttold me that pigment was of no importance and said that as far as eye pigment went it had no bearing on eye problems. Said that his Angus cowherd had more eye problems than the polled cow's. I did'nt argue because he had more records and information on his cattle and most definitely used them. No also he was'nt relly worried about pedigrees .

Beefman, Thanks for joining in the conversations here. Your experiences as a breeder can help all of us. It is also invaluable when someone takes the time to share conversations they had with other breeders in the past.

Thanks, again.

Visually, he was exceptional as a calf. One might add that he always has carried and transmitted the propensity to lay on external fat and that is a big reason they do look good/thick/etc. I don't specifically remember white in the back, but his feather was large and I'd bet if you looked hard you could probably find some white hairs. He had enough chrome around the edges that checking his back was required. One just knew that he would transmit "more white than ideal".

Frank was very keen on him, even as a calf. I was not as he was scurred and we were looking for bulls more likely to be homozygous polled.

If one uses 774 as a sire, white in the back is inevitable to some extent. Of course, it also depends on the cow's share of the genetics too. If a breeder's emphasis is on markings, don't use the bull.

Daugthers are typically very nice and they are without the pendulous udder issues that his sire transmitted (although 774 isn't as "wild" on MM EPD as 7002 is either). Feet can be an issue. It jumps out every once in awhile.

Like any sire, there are things to improve in the bull and things that you really like.

We've only used him on RA cows. Calves are brockel faced and no more chromeeon other parts then any other Hereford bull we've used.