Feltons comparative

Help Support CattleToday:

Glenvale

Reaction score
Hi all

Pretty new here but old posts have already proven a wealth of information- thanks! Now hoping for some direct comparative views on sires if anyone has them.... We've had a purely horned Hereford herd for the last 30 years but we are now trying some poll genetics amongst the rest. From what I've seen discussed, the Feltons strain intrigues as being practicle "cattleman's cattle" in addition to being somewhat linebred to make these traits more prepotent.

No herd is perfect, but in our aims we haven't followed fads and always selected for moderate, structurally correct, easy doing, maternal cattle cattle as thick as we can get them combined with the darker colour, pigment and eye-set demanded in our part of the world. Over the last 30 years we've tried to maintain these traits whilst cautiously pushed growth to the point where I think we've reached optimum mature cow weights in our regional environment for a maternal, self-replacing herd. From here I'd like to maintain structural correctness, thickness and cosmetics whilst working on the antagonisms to enhance early phase growth, marbling and EMA whilst reducing birthweight and mature cow weight- but EBV's only tell a part of the story required....

Of the pure Feltons bulls I've narrowed it down to Feltons Ozzie 492, Feltons Jedi 154 and EF F475 Frank P230 from what's already available here. I haven't seen any of the progeny in the flesh, let alone daughter type and performance, so I'd be keen to hear any thoughts on their comparative merits in any production environment. There would be some corrective mating no matter which of these sires might be the best overall package or which may excel in particular areas. However, given we're looking to take the horns off a portion of the herd, whether they're homo or heterogygous polled would probably be a good start for selection in our particular case. I'm looking forward to any discussion on which is the best of Feltons!

HerefordSire":1pcu4zor said:
KNERSIE":1pcu4zor said:
Where are you from?

Glenvale. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And where might that be? And does that add value to his cattle, or is he perhaps sitting on a potential goldmine?

HerefordSire":154ecn5e said:
517 is the best Felton product beyond a shadow of a doubt. It all goes downhill from there.

If matched to the right cows, Legend, Ozzie, Magnum, Meat Machine, Lute, Lexus and Endurance are all useful.

OLF":3nk74xba said:
HerefordSire":3nk74xba said:
517 is the best Felton product beyond a shadow of a doubt. It all goes downhill from there.

If matched to the right cows, Legend, Ozzie, Magnum, Meat Machine, Lute, Lexus and Endurance are all useful.

I was referring to a very high hill.

HerefordSire":7fifvba4 said:
OLF":7fifvba4 said:
HerefordSire":7fifvba4 said:

I was referring to a very high hill.

OK, I took it the wrong way. I guess I'd let 517 and 774 battle for the top of the hill.

OLF":1aa747f3 said:
OK, I took it the wrong way. I guess I'd let 517 and 774 battle for the top of the hill.

No problemo...

.08 fat EPD. Wonder why it shot up.

AHA_30125214039_perc.gif

If you put put that much fat in the muscle, your going to put some fat on the back too. Match him to a cow that produces lean, heavy muscle and you've got something.

OLF":2hl2wev9 said:
If you put put that much fat in the muscle, your going to put some fat on the back too. Match him to a cow that produces lean, heavy muscle and you've got something.

You'll have more success doing the vice versa.

Feltons 517 may be a popular but he was very bad footed

Can you back that up with evidence?

well ill put it this way i guess.....in OUR opinion he was bad footed. We also have a lot of hereford producers illinois that say they have a lot of great success with feltons genetics but would never breed to 517. Frank Felton was definatily a cattlemen to remember.

hereford_jock":m33ld6lw said:
well ill put it this way i guess.....in OUR opinion he was bad footed. We also have a lot of hereford producers illinois that say they have a lot of great success with feltons genetics but would never breed to 517. Frank Felton was definatily a cattlemen to remember.

Elaborate on his feet, please.

hereford_jock":73ftudxr said:

When you say he is bad footed, what do you mean precisely? Are they cow hocked, sickle hocked, long toed or are they just not straight enough made for you liking?

he was weak pastured in my mind....was he a great bull? Yes but i really feel he wasn't he most sound of all feltons bulls out there

hereford_jock":e108pa28 said:
he was weak pastured in my mind....was he a great bull? Yes but i really feel he wasn't he most sound of all feltons bulls out there

Interesting, I have some 97, 98 and 99 model cows here that are completely sound. Feet hasn't been a poroblem for me at all.

Doesn't really matter anyway as 517 semen is hard to come by.

Latest posts