Feltons comparative

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE":epxoayzn said:
OLF":epxoayzn said:
If you put put that much fat in the muscle, your going to put some fat on the back too. Match him to a cow that produces lean, heavy muscle and you've got something.

You'll have more success doing the vice versa.

Agreed, I like a well muscled bull. So, what would be the ideal cow for a bull with strong marbling and a weak REA? Would he better for producing daughters than for producing steers or bulls? (774 does have many popular sons.)

AHA_30125214039_perc.gif

517 semen is hard to come by, particularly here amongst the antipodes so we're a bit limited... however I can probably still get my hands on Ozzie, Jedi or EF Frank.

In the spring we're expecting our first calves by a bull referred to on a previous thread as #2, who is a grandson of Feltons 524.

http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i ... 2327582723

I think there's a good chance he'll keep us on course, but unfortunately he's heterozygous polled so he won't take all the horns off which is why I'm looking into the others as well.

Your thoughts have certainly been most useful so far- thanks.

Really glad to see my favorite Polled Hereford bull brought up. ANd remember that Reed has semen @ 20 bucks a unit, volume discount for over 100 units.

smnherf":ln1cdp5u said:
hereford_jock":ln1cdp5u said:
he was weak pastured in my mind....was he a great bull? Yes but i really feel he wasn't he most sound of all feltons bulls out there

Interesting, I have some 97, 98 and 99 model cows here that are completely sound. Feet hasn't been a poroblem for me at all.

Doesn't really matter anyway as 517 semen is hard to come by.

Do you want some I have 19 straws in my tank.

Jeff

S&S Farms":3bw4sg19 said:
smnherf":3bw4sg19 said:
hereford_jock":3bw4sg19 said:
he was weak pastured in my mind....was he a great bull? Yes but i really feel he wasn't he most sound of all feltons bulls out there

Interesting, I have some 97, 98 and 99 model cows here that are completely sound. Feet hasn't been a poroblem for me at all.

Doesn't really matter anyway as 517 semen is hard to come by.

Do you want some I have 19 straws in my tank.

Jeff

quit braggin....

KNERSIE":2ru7qlpn said:
he was weak pastured in my mind

You need to translate that for me, preferably Afrikaans, but Dutch or Flemish would also work.

I think he is trying to say that he had weak pasterns (the American public school system typically sucks at spelling!). I have heard that before about 517, don't know if I believe it though.

Brandonm22":tt1ej2ig said:
I think he is trying to stay that he had weak pasterns (the American public school system typically sucks at spelling!).
You mean like a cows "utter(s)"

dun":2k00mbyq said:
Brandonm22":2k00mbyq said:
I think he is trying to stay that he had weak pasterns (the American public school system typically sucks at spelling!).
You mean like a cows "utter(s)"

Yes, like that.......I hope that one was not my lapse.

talldog":2jk09r9j said:
dun":2jk09r9j said:
Really glad to see my favorite Polled Hereford bull brought up. ANd remember that Reed has semen @ 20 bucks a unit, volume discount for over 100 units.
Expand on your views of this Bull.
My views are pretty simple. His steer calves graded well and his daughters lost some frame and raise good calves that grade. But I've never used him on anything but Red Angus

OLF":3j5tlmo6 said:
OK, I took it the wrong way. I guess I'd let 517 and 774 battle for the top of the hill.

517 and 774 were the top semen sales bulls for sure.

As far as practicality, I would pick 532 as the top bull. Solid feet, legs, lot of muscle and offspring that would keep constant flesh.

I used both 517 and 532, and depending on what you are looking for, one of those bulls should fit the bill. Feet were not such a big problem I found on 517 offspring...but they were hard to keep flesh on in a dry summer. :cowboy:

Thanks Aaron- I'll do some more homework on 532 and see if I can't track some down. Holding condition when it gets tough is certainly a positive. Cheers.