FEL Cylinders

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Anyone ever rebuild / reseal their hydrolic cylinders themselves? Last year both FEL lift cylinders blew out the seals. Kubota replaced the seals and charged me $174.00 for each cylinder. Now the bucket dump clyinders are leaking and I don't want to spend $378.00 for repairs. I have viewed several videos on seal replacement and It looks like a simple procedure, just follow directions. Would any of you folks try It?

kubotas are easy...if you can change a tire you can do it..they unscrew. not the roll in wire like jd. don't pay Kubota...email me if ya got any issues kerley..piece o cake man..really

I took mine off, and took them to a guy. I can't tell you what he chraged, but it was very reasonable. Maybe your community has a hydraulics guy. Skip the dealer, and go to him.

they aren't hard to do.. definitely worth doing yourself, and if all else fails and you can't get the together, you can always bring them to Kubota or a hydraulics shop for reassembly

I have done a few cylinders on my Kubota and one much bigger on my dozer ripper. I take advantage of their mounts to hold them when I have to apply a bit of weight to undo the cylinder cap and then the nut on the end of the piston. I use timber blocks to support the free end and it is then safe to apply a bit of weight to it. I made up a spanner for the end cap as mine had 3 notches for the tool to grip but sometimes it can be undone with large multigrips but will burr it a bit.
On the Kubota the nut on the piston had a roll pin through it from memory otherwise they tensioned up to a specified torque. Centre punching the nut and the piston to mark where it is tightened back up to is a usefull guide. If you are using a large shifting spanner on the nut you can still torque it up like 100ftlb is 100 lb weight hanging 1 ft from the centre of the nut.
assembling it is all pretty basic just be clean and protect the chrome surface of the rod.
Ken

I ordered new FEL Seals this morning from bigorange.com, there in Atlanta and sell all Kubota parts. $105.00 for two cylinder repair kits, I think they are a little pricey but I need my Tractor. Parts will be here Thursday.

The kid that does most of the cylinders at the local JD place does them in about 15 minutes. Having the right tools and tons of experience sure helps.

kerley said:
I ordered new FEL Seals this morning from bigorange.com, there in Atlanta and sell all Kubota parts. $105.00 for two cylinder repair kits, I think they are a little pricey but I need my Tractor.

We go to a hydraulic supply store with the old seals and Teflon ring and just match them up. My son can repack two cylinders in less than a hour, just take the piston off at the knuckle and pull it out.

leaving the base end on helps to undo them. i use messicks for parts. all the kubota crap is pricey...bad as deere junk. the serial numbers and the different upgrades can make it a pita tho..

Okay I got the seal kits friday. Saturday I disconnected the hydroulic hoses. I removed the cylinder bolt and pin on the bucket. This is a double acting hydroulic cylinder so I did not remove the cylinder housing from the frame. The cylinder cap on the chrome ram must be removed for access to the seals so I need a pinned spanner wrench which I do not have, I guess I could use a pipe wrench to loosen up the seal cap then the chrome ram would be pulled out. Am I correct to this point.

yup. if ya hafta use the pipe wrench just file it smooth before ya put the cap back in. do not damage the rod. push it in before you disass

The cap is to thin to get the pipe wrench to work. I guess I will have to go online and see about buying the proper tool, I just do not want to damage anything, what did you use when you did yours.

I made this up for my Kubota cylinders. Sounds like yours might be something similar. It works well just need to wrap the chromed shaft up so you don't scratch it.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
I made this up for my Kubota cylinders. Sounds like yours might be something similar. It works well just need to wrap the chromed shaft up so you don't scratch it.

Ken[/quote Thank you Ken, I just would not know what to do with this tool?

I guess I got lucky.
This morning I took my hydroulic cylinder to a country machine shop where I take things for repair or built, they know me and are friendly. I asked if they knew anything about hydroulic cylinders, they said they repair them all the time. I already bought the repair kit online.
I watched Ralph do the seal job, which took him about thirty min. and ready to go. I ask what I owed him and he said nothing, I was shocked. He went on to tell me that I just did not understand how thankful he was because I had previously given him some truck parts that I had no use for. He also said when the next cylinders starts leaking, he would repair them for free.
I have a problem with for free because a man has to earn a decent living and when I gave Ralph the truck parts I had no use for them and he needed them, so when I bring in the other bucket cylinder I will pay him something. I know he can use the money and I will feel much better. I guess what goes around comes around in Alabama country.

Latest posts