Feet

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
These aren't great shots but they give a rough example of the kind of feet we work for. Ol Granny didn't feel like standing still so I had to get these as she kept turning towards me to see what kind of mischeif I was up to. They don't really show the depth of heel very well, but give an idea of the general shape of the foot. Not to bad for a 12 plus year old cow a month from calving.

feet1.jpg

feet2.jpg

feet3.jpg

I've heard it said that you build a cow from the ground up. If they can't move, they can't eat. If they can't eat, they can't feed a calf. If they can't feed a calf, they can't pay their way...More than once I've made culling decisions based on seeing a cow limping a few times with no explanation.

Yup, those are the feet I like. Big & round. Also, notice, great strenth of pastern and good angle. You see folks, for a cow to maintain good feet, she has to have good structure. To maintain good structure, she has to have good feet. All goes hand in hand.
Some cows/calves have what we refer to as "deer foot" - they are narrow like a deers hoof. Not good. You need a good base.

Dun,
Have you trimmed her wheels to achieve this?
I have become really "hoof aware" watching the cows move on the uneven frozen ground. All of mine are walking head down and moving very careful.

She's never had her feet touched. That's the way good feet and legs grow on their own. All of our cows, even the heifers are walking pretty slow and careful on the frozen ground. It's uneven and there's no give, plus I wonder if it doesn;t just feel kind of unsteady or slick as the slip on the larger frozen chunks.

dun

We've been having cows leave little blood spots from tearing their dew claws on the frozen clumps. BUT, NOW we have SNOW. Should be lots better. Snow will fill in some of the ruts & smooth out the surface. PLUS, they are insulated from the frozen ground.
I know, I know - complain complain. First it was toooo muddy - than it was toooo hard - now it's JUST RIGHT :D
By the way, DUN, nice baby pic - yours??? :shock:

The two youngest are 9 now. Seems like they were just little bitty things just last year.
The previous avatar was the whole family except the oldest grandaughter. Hardly any of which are blood related. But they're all still my grandkids.

dun

The avatar is too little to make out the "family" photo. Change is nice. HMMM - maybe I should post a different pic of Macho. All the pics I have of my grandsons are "show pics" with their cattle. They go to more national shows than we do. They go to the national junior Simmental show each year which is in a different state each year. Boy have they traveled in their young years!