Feet, forgive my ignorance...

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
We've been to sales before that we've later found out (thru good sources) that a cow/bull at auction has had its feet trimmed up to present the appearance of "good feet"... we all know that good feet are important. But I've questioned myself on how to identify this has happened?

Are there any sure signs of a trim? From what I gather, it's usually done about a month prior.

I'm really intrigued. Want to make sound purchases but if I'm being duped from the start, how does one go about protecting themselves from it?

Anyone have some before and after if a trim?

I've seen fresh trims and could recognize those, but probably not a few months after the fact. I got stung on one with bad front feet from our association's online sale. In fact, the breeder was a trusted board member. Apparently, I just didn't ask enough questions ahead of the sale as I was told. I still have her and she is bred for a terminal calf.

slick4591":1etb460a said:
I've seen fresh trims and could recognize those, but probably not a few months after the fact. I got stung on one with bad front feet from our association's online sale. In fact, the breeder was a trusted board member. Apparently, I just didn't ask enough questions ahead of the sale as I was told. I still have her and she is bred for a terminal calf.

What really got me at one sale is the owner doing his pre-auction speech about how good of feet his cattle had. Preached and preached about it and emphasized its importance.

A day or two later, a mutual friend who works for operation, told us that all their feet were trimmed about a month prior.

I know it happens more than one would like to think but a stand up operation, should be culling them for that very reason.

Welcome to the world of supposed seed stock producer's promotion, commotion & BS.
Goes without saying...find an ethical breeder.

All the animals feet are going to look about the same if they have been trimmed or should if the guy was good. Knowing what your animals feet look like that haven't been trimmed is a good place to start. Look around the edges of their feet and see how they wear and the differences in shape.

I always try to see the sire and dam of a bull or cow i'm buying, if not grandam, MGS, etc. The more info the better. Of course i'm maternal breeding, and not terminal. Also, anytime i'm in the herd of a breeder, i'm constantly looking at feet, udders, tail set, etc. Feet are often not focused on in many programs, and for the national cowherd, that's a bad thing. Why AAA finally started paying attention.

Latest posts