Feeling kind of Down

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
I was moving around and sorting some of the young bulls and bred heifers around the paddocks. When a few of them got excited and started bucking and running. Ended up with a bred heifer hurting her rear leg that's around 6 months bred. Really stinks getting one that far along and registering her and then this happens. She's really favoring it, think she slid in a muddy spot and torn something. Hopefully she'll improve and get better and there will not be much permanent damage. Feel like I could have moved them differently where they wouldn't have got so excited. Wish her luck if you will.

Know the feeling I usually lose one a year to some sort of odd injury, but it's amazing how some of the ones that you don't think will pull through actually do with no help from man

FlyingLSimmentals":pcexynvt said:
I was moving around and sorting some of the young bulls and bred heifers around the paddocks. When a few of them got excited and started bucking and running. Ended up with a bred heifer hurting her rear leg that's around 6 months bred. Really stinks getting one that far along and registering her and then this happens. She's really favoring it, think she slid in a muddy spot and torn something. Hopefully she'll improve and get better and there will not be much permanent damage. Feel like I could have moved them differently where they wouldn't have got so excited. Wish her luck if you will.

That's tough. I cringe every time they come off the hill bucking and carrying on like that. Hopefully she will recover fully. Lots of time and money in one by that stage, or at least I do.

talltimber":l1kmcxzt said:
FlyingLSimmentals":l1kmcxzt said:

That's tough. I cringe every time they come off the hill bucking and carrying on like that. Hopefully she will recover fully. Lots of time and money in one by that stage, or at least I do.

Same here. I have some steep hills. When I visit the herd they like to come to me. If I am at the bottom of a hill, they enthusiasticly, come running, jumping, bucking, etc. I cringe too as I watch to see who is going to break something.

TCRanch":2jf0ttl7 said:
You're having a roughGeiger.lately, I'm sorry. Can you give her some aspirin (boluses or powdered in her feed) or rub DMSO on her leg?
x2
Prayers for you & your heifer.Don't despair, I've experienced a turn around in similar situation. These girls are tough!

reeler":2e6qfsu7 said:
TCRanch":2e6qfsu7 said:
You're having a roughGeiger.lately, I'm sorry. Can you give her some aspirin (boluses or powdered in her feed) or rub DMSO on her leg?
x2
Prayers for you & your heifer.Don't despair, I've experienced a turn around in similar situation. These girls are tough!

Stupid auto correct :)

TCRanch":39iwzr6r said:
reeler":39iwzr6r said:
TCRanch":39iwzr6r said:
x2

Stupid auto correct :)
Sorry about that... :shock:

FlyingLSimmentals":1928g8ob said:
Any update for us?

Thanks for the replies and thoughts everyone. Not a lot of change to report. Haven't been able to do much with her. She gets around good with the hind limp at least when she wants too. I couldn't get her to the working and loading pens to give her any antibiotics about twenty yards is as close to it that she'll get and that is following the feed bucket. Pretty calm normally and will usually come to the feed bucket or with me just calling them by name. Right now she is by herself in her own pasture lot, the one with the working facility. She stays up on the hill away from the facility pens and if I try to make her go to the pens she shoots off to the bottom also away from the pen. She'll eat feed well up on the hill and doesn't mind me being there as long as I don't push her or get closer than touching her on the nose. Was able to run my hand down her hip and leg once and she flinched when my hand got in front of her hock. Haven't noticed much of any swelling and she appeared this morning that she might be putting more weight on it and keeping it a little straighter. Going to be a gradual healing process I suppose. Maybe she'll get over the stress and fear and move into the pens soon.

Put feed in the catch pen and just leave it there she'll find it. Also put another cow or two with her, cows are herding animals and hate to be alone.

Catching her in the catch pen has been the problem, she'll come at night sometime or the other and eat the feed. I haven't seen her come off the hill unless she is going to the bottom away from the pen when I'm trying to move her to the catch pen. Haven't seen her at the hay or water trough. Stays up on the hill by the cross fence where she keeps an eye on everything and be by the others at the fence. Anything I put with her just wants to ride her with her being injured. That's why I'm keeping her alone. May have to get some corral panels and funnel her to the catch pen if condition worsens or lingers long.

FlyingLSimmentals":3vcmdlrb said:

Easy to get in a hurry, excited or frustrated. Injuries are a problem throughout the industry and only worsens with increased weight- multimillion dollars of loss in the industry yearly. Temple Grandin has a done a lot of work identifying low stress/natural ways to move cattle. There's a lot of information that can be applied for the future.

http://www.grandin.com/behaviour/transport.html

Hope she starts mending for you.

My bulls got into it last week, big guy got his arse handed to him and had to give up with a limp in his hind foot somewhere.. he was pretty sore the next day but he seems to be getting better now.
Hopefully yours does too.

I remember one day I changed the feeding paddock for the cows, so it took them a while to come along... first in line was Tizia, all 1700 lb or so of her coming down this muddy hill at full tilt.. it's some wonder she ever got herself stopped in time for the hay bale and truck

Bigfoot":1u2k7l45 said:
I've seen very few not get over a limp.

Same here, chances are she will be fine in a couple weeks. I have always tried to confine mine to a stall when they get a bad limp so they don't have to use it as much. Hope she comes out of it for you.

I have a poor set up for catching cows, and especially calves since they're usually a bit stand-off-ish. What I've found works almost flawlessly for me is making a large "funnel" using a single strand of polywire (not hot). I make a triangle, with the tip leading into the corral. I can get them into the large triangle (maybe ½ acre) with feed, and once they're in I pick up one end of the triangle and start walking toward the other leg, closing up the triangle. They walk straight away from me into the corral. It only takes a couple minutes to set it up with the step in posts and wire.
Good luck

Have poly rope in certain paddocks therefore they are used to staying behind poly rope. I have kind of used it like that in gaps moving them from one paddock to another. Just not that large of scale or distance. Thanks M.Magis for the idea I'm sure it would work with her, actually one wire here would work because of the high tensile fence is on the other side. Just seen her come of the hill to the hay. Looking a bit better I think. I'm just leaving her alone and putting no stress on her.

Latest posts